• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar performance distributor ??

cj's mopar

Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
So I accidentally fried the pick up in my MP
B eng distributor,
Replaced with Store bought Stander ignition. Brand pick up .
The alignment is not the same the MP one was centered on the reluctor tooth the replacement is sitting higher up and above about 1/8 inch up above the reluctor.
Will this eventually be a problem?
The Engine runs but seams to be harder to start then before.
Does any one have part number for the Mopar Performance pickup coil ?
I checked on Mancini and the show only the standerd ignition pickup And reluctor.
Should I get the standerd reluctor to see if the alignment would be better?

Hello,
So I accidentally fried the pick up in my MP
B eng distributor,
Replaced with Store bought Stander ignition. Brand pick up .
The alignment is not the same the MP one was centered on the reluctor tooth the replacement is sitting higher up and above about 1/8 inch up above the reluctor.
Will this eventually be a problem?
The Engine runs but seams to be harder to start then before.
Does any one have part number for the Mopar Performance pickup coil ?
I checked on Mancini and the show only the standerd ignition pickup And reluctor.
Should I get the standerd reluctor to see if the alignment would be better?
Rick Eherhenberg might know the part number

So I found the answer on summit.
I needed lx102 and got lx102 T miss boxed from Orielys autoparts
Fyi top one in picture is identical to Mopar Performance one. Bottom one does work but taller and not aligned.

Screenshot_20220422-122031.jpg

Standard® and Standard® Blue Streak engine management parts provide the perfect form, fit and function demanded
by today’s technicians for
both import and domestic applications. As a basic manufacturer, Standard®
has complete control of the manufacturing process from componentry to finished product. You can trust that all Standard® professional parts meet or exceed OE specifications to deliver exceptional performance and extended service life

Standard® T-Series is a competitively priced line containing some of the most popular part numbers to help you meet your market needs. The Standard® T-Series offering represents two-thirds of the total engine management
line. Standard® T-Series is a
fit whenever a commercially acceptable product is called for.

Depending on the MP dist year the only diff could be the adjustable mechanical advance ( springs and counterweights ) if Mallory made. These are also with rotor aprox 90* off from the factory ones. Dunno earliers and laters. Rest of distributor is the same than factory. The pick up coil is the same than any other basic dist.

Also the cap is diff just because the brass terminals, but stock cal works the same anyway.

The deal with the pick up coil is they have a lot of play in several directions since ther are a semifloating assembly and they use to be bend in diff angle between magnet and coil support "arm". This happens with factory pieces and replacements. So it can be really tricky to get them nicelly aligned. I have played with couple of them untill get reduced the play and get a nice attack angle bewteen it and the reluctor in rest position and vacuum advance position with in +/- 0.002 variation gap bending here and there.

Is not posible to get a perfect same gap in vacuum advance and rest position due the dist geometry itself, because the ratious of the pick up coil assembly is not centered with the reluctor/dist center. It draws a diff circunference so it doesn't move in parallel.

The protusion lenght and out of flattness of the pick up coil end can be a problem to confront too. Sometimes could need a bit of file to get it flat.

All these problems if not correctly corrected use to end on a bited reluctor by the pick up coil end

Last edited:
This seems very complicated to what end result ? Short pick up life ?
I feel like there were thousands of cars built with this diributor and never had to perform all this .

Because you bought a Standard T replacement - Cheap

Stick with Standard Blue Streak or go on EBay and find an original Chrysler part number or talk to HalifaxHops and see what he has

Thats the thing I did not order a standerd T I ordered a regular standerd but O'Riley said they don't know why the standerd T was is the regular box . They have messed up system . Ordered from summit we will see what I get

Because you bought a Standard T replacement - Cheap

Stick with Standard Blue Streak or go on EBay and find an original Chrysler part number or talk to HalifaxHops and see what he has

YES....Inquire to Ray @hallifaxhops. He'll provide the information you seek and how to get the adjustment set correctly and answer any questions you may about the hows and whys of the distributor's operation. A great source of information as well as parts. BTW....FYI...the best thing you should do is ignore the postings of #6 as the information (?) presented not accurate.....as the pick up coil assembly and reluctor wheel interface have nothing to do with the centrifugal advance mechanism.
BOB RENTON

This guy is really tiresome on every critic and non sense attack, amazing... really. Is able to read what is not written.

WHERE THE HELL ON MY REPLY I STABLISHED A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE MECHANICAL ADVANCE AND PICK UP COIL?

Last edited:
Depending on the MP dist year the only diff could be the adjustable mechanical advance ( springs and counterweights ) if Mallory made. These are also with rotor aprox 90* off from the factory ones. Dunno earliers and laters. Rest of distributor is the same than factory. The pick up coil is the same than any other basic dist.

Also the cap is diff just because the brass terminals, but stock cal works the same anyway.

The deal with the pick up coil is they have a lot of play in several directions since ther are a semifloating assembly and they use to be bend in diff angle between magnet and coil support "arm". This happens with factory pieces and replacements. So it can be really tricky to get them nicelly aligned. I have played with couple of them untill get reduced the play and get a nice attack angle bewteen it and the reluctor in rest position and vacuum advance position with in +/- 0.002 variation gap bending here and there.

Is not posible to get a perfect same gap in vacuum advance and rest position due the dist geometry itself, because the ratious of the pick up coil assembly is not centered with the reluctor/dist center. It draws a diff circunference so it doesn't move in parallel.

The protusion lenght and out of flattness of the pick up coil end can be a problem to confront too. Sometimes could need a bit of file to get it flat.

All these problems if not correctly corrected use to end on a bited reluctor by the pick up coil end

OTP strikes again......or in this instance, two.....
BOB RENTON

There is no a relation made between mech and pickup coil there. I'm just mentioning the diff between stock dist and MP (Mallory) on the mech advance system meaning there is no diff on the rest of parts betwen them.

Then I relating the deal with the VACUUM advance and the pickup coil when the pickup coil is not correctly indexed or made ( a posibility with some replacement pieces ) causing a probably meet between reluctor and pick up coil causing the pickup to bite the reluctor WHEN VACUUM is applied.

would be nice LEARN to read.

$**1t!

Last edited:
There is no a relation made between mech and pickup coil there. I'm just mentioning the diff between stock dist and MP (Mallory) on the mech advance system meaning there is no diff on the rest of parts betwen them.

Then I relating the deal with the VACUUM advance and the pickup coil when the pickup coil is not correctly indexed or made ( a posibility with some replacement pieces ) causing a probably meet between reluctor and pick up coil causing the pickup to bite the reluctor WHEN VACUUM is applied.

would be nice LEARN to read.

$**1t!

The only confusion point is the confusion that exists between your ears.....you're answering a question that was not asked. To your second point, about learning to read is: understanding what you've read.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back