• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar performance VR P3690732

Skatpak

Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score
Can someone verify this? I have read just about every article on upgrading the vr on the early single field alts. Here's what I have. 66 Charger, 440, Msd ignition, dual field alt with one field set grounded to case, (converts to single field alt) My stock wire harness has 1 green wire and 1 black wire. Green to field, black to batt, at the alt side, on the original vr there is a blue wire with tracer (ign side) and a dark green (field side). On the p3690732 there is a stud post in the center and a red wire with a connector, (no instructions) Question is what wire to what on the vr side and do I need to ground the vr?

Can someone verify this? I have read just about every article on upgrading the vr on the early single field alts. Here's what I have. 66 Charger, 440, Msd ignition, dual field alt with one field set grounded to case, (converts to single field alt) My stock wire harness has 1 green wire and 1 black wire. Green to field, black to batt, at the alt side, on the original vr there is a blue wire with tracer (ign side) and a dark green (field side). On the p3690732 there is a stud post in the center and a red wire with a connector, (no instructions) Question is what wire to what on the vr side and do I need to ground the vr?
The green goes to the stud and the blue plugs into the red. If this is a street car that's the last regulator I would choose. Seeing you have the newer alternator I would just wire in the newer style regulator. All you need to do is run a blue wire from the alternator to the blue at the regulator. Buy a regulator and plug and 20 minutes you are done.

regulator.jpg

The green goes to the stud and the blue plugs into the red. If this is a street car that's the last regulator I would choose. Seeing you have the newer alternator I would just wire in the newer style regulator. All you need to do is run a blue wire from the alternator to the blue at the regulator. Buy a regulator and plug and 20 minutes you are done.

View attachment 1252036
ok thanks, now if I wanted to stay looking somewhat original, what is wrong with the electronic version of the old regulator, it looks just like the old one but is modern internals? Also If I went the way of the newer vr kit and harness, which is the box with the triangle 2 pin connector that plugs into the face of it, can you explain the add a blue wire a little more please?

Just make sure your alt , doesn’t have a built in regulator , or your in deep , if it’s connected with a external reg , sorry if I missed something here , but the dual feed alternator and using only one field and grounding other , sounds a lot like a later one ! Just saying, confirm now for less headaches ! JC

Just make sure your alt , doesn’t have a built in regulator , or your in deep , if it’s connected with a external reg , sorry if I missed something here , but the dual feed alternator and using only one field and grounding other , sounds a lot like a later one ! Just saying, confirm now for less headaches ! JC
Thanks, Yes it is a later alt in my car. It does not have a regulator in it.

Just dont replace a WORKING Batt+ cable with a RePop.. Like I just did. Now nothing works.. Should have left Junk be junk-

Auto Transport Service
Back