• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Performance vs Direct Connection?

streetmachine

Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
Hello. I tried finding an answer to this question but, didn't come up with much. I'm just wondering when it comes to Mopar stuff what's better? Is the Direct Connection parts any better than the Mopar Performance stuff? I believe Direct Connection changed to Mopar Performance I think in 1989ish or so, I think? If so, what parts are good in bad when talking about each division to speak? I have seen some talk about how some of the Mopar Performance parts went downhill in quality but, can't remember the specifics at the moment. Any elaboration on that? Thank you in advance.

The both sourced from vendors and just had their name on it. There is hardly anything performance wise available anymore.

Same deal just a different era and name.

Direct Connection stuff is vastly superior.
First, it's older which almost always means better.
Second, Chrysler did indeed make some of the stuff themselves.
Third - and possibly most importantly - just look at the posters advertising them... :)

Direct Connection stuff is vastly superior.
First, it's older which almost always means better.
Second, Chrysler did indeed make some of the stuff themselves.
Third - and possibly most importantly - just look at the posters advertising them... :)
Great points Guy. The first two came to mind right away. The third slipped my mind. But your also correct.

I agree with Guy. Much of the parts offered by DC were just as much Chrysler "factory" parts as many parts that came new on '60s cars that were also made by venders. DC offered race proven parts, often at a little over cost, that were less expensive than aftermarket race parts of the times, and difficult to obtain specific Chrysler car parts. Examples include oversize valves, race crankshafts, offset BH dowel pins etc. The Purple Shaft cams were a good deal then, I don't think so much now, if you can even find them.

And don't forget about the Race Manuals and the DC race seminars that occasionally were put on. Mopar Perf seemed to be a watered down effort that was never quite as good.

Wasn't DC dropped for some years and MP came along as a replacement?

Direct connection was vastly superior. The parts program, the racing program, direct connection was something. Mopar performance is just a name, and leaking valve covers

All valid points! As said, DC was there for the racers when not much was available for Mopars on the aftermarket.

As mentioned DC was more race-oriented. The difference to me is that the DC stuff was out long before the "chinesium" era...but they also didn't have the amount of different parts available that came with MP later on.
That said, plenty of (especially the older) MP stuff was good enough quality and worked well for it's intended purpose.
It really wasn't until they got close to belly-up status that their quality started going downhill, at least in my experiences. I still have several MP items from the late 90s/early 2000s that haven't missed a beat.

Just wanted to say thank you. The other part that prompted this question is that I have some Direct Connection valve cover bolts as an example, that are manufactured in Taiwan. I've seen some Mopar Performance stuff like distributor hold downs and such that were manufactured or at made in the USA on them.

As mentioned DC was more race-oriented. The difference to me is that the DC stuff was out long before the "chinesium" era...but they also didn't have the amount of different parts available that came with MP later on.
That said, plenty of (especially the older) MP stuff was good enough quality and worked well for it's intended purpose.
It really wasn't until they got close to belly-up status that their quality started going downhill, at least in my experiences. I still have several MP items from the late 90s/early 2000s that haven't missed a beat.
Good points, Lloyd.
It is fashionable to bash companies online when you have some bad experience. Me? I've had great luck with MP stuff. Great quality and long lasting.
I thought that Direct Connection was making a comeback and replacing the MP name in parts again?
If so, I'm not bothered by it if the supply and quality of the products is good.

And even before Direct Connection, there was Hustle Stuff. Someone gave me the catalogue 45 years ago.
1688328849560.png

You can see the 1971 edition on-line here: The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1971 Chrysler Hustle Stuff (Pg 1)

Auto Transport Service
Back