• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mopar purple camshaft

bought a new mopar performance six pak cam.. the finish don't look right to me. kinda dull non machined kinda look . anybody got any imput on this new finish? looks almost cast color as in a dull greyish finish.
If the bearing surfaces are machined, that sounds right. If not there's a problem.

As others have said it's the parkerized finish all flat lifter cams come with . Be sure to break it in properly- i recommend 2000 rpm for 20 minutes immediately after startup, you can slightly vary the rpm but don't let it fall below ~ 2000. To keep the car from overheating i run a garden hose on the radiator. Also its not recommended to use synthetic to break cams in.

As others have said it's the parkerized finish all flat lifter cams come with . Be sure to break it in properly- i recommend 2000 rpm for 20 minutes immediately after startup, you can slightly vary the rpm but don't let it fall below ~ 2000. To keep the car from overheating i run a garden hose on the radiator. Also its not recommended to use synthetic to break cams in.
And add a zinc additive to the oil. There's no longer enough zinc

The dull finish is called Maganese Phosphate, trade name "lubrite". It is a break in coating to help with the extreme loads that the cam lobes see. I work for a company that manufactures rotary refrigeration compressors and we put the same finish on the eccentric lobes of our crankshafts. Still need to use a good cam lube when installing.....VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

camshaft has been parkerized, an acid etch process designed to hold oil during the initial break in process. all cast iron cams should be parkerized. I know some early purple shafts were not, not a good idea with today's oils

The good ones used to actually be purple between the lobes.
Ahhh those were the days...
The cam I put in my 71 Challenger, back in 1989, did indeed have a PURPLE shaft..

Gee our old Purple shaft equipped Mopar ran great! Those, were, THE DAYS!!

Auto Transport Service
Back