• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More assistance required to decode fender tag 1968 GTX

skingjack

Reaction score
Hello, trying to decode the fender tag on a car I'm looking to purchase. This is what I was able to glean using online resources ( and kudos to those people for making those available). However, there appears to be some inconsistencies - my attempted decode indicates a/c as well as rear radio speakers; the vehicle I'm interested in has neither. My result is below;a picture of the fender tag is attached.

CAR: Plymouth GTX 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: F70x14 Red Sidewall, Steel Belted
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: April 01.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: Sport Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Green Interior.
PAINT: Medium Green Metallic (Dodge), Avocado Green Metallic (Plymouth), Meadow Green Metallic (Chrysler, Imperial).
OTHER: Racing Green Metallic (Dodge), Forest Green Metallic (Plymouth, Chrysler, Imperial) Upper Door Frame Color. Black Horizontal Sport Stripe.
MOLDINGS:
19: Wide Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
P6: Rear Seat Speaker
S1: Air Conditioning
Y4: Green Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

Im hoping one of the gurus on the board can confirm or refute what I've found.

Thanks,

Jack

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 438
I can confirm that may not be the fender tag for that car... Please check additional locations as these were not attached with screws..

Icecobra, thanks for the quick response;can you advise where I would find the additional locations? I'm aware of the drivers side trunk lip but could not decipher what numbers where there (Covered in paint). Or are they actually underneath the weatherstripping?

look for the number "324217" on the radiator support and drip rail. If it is, the tag is correct.

all my 66's and my 70 is attached with screws....just not that style in the above picture

Your decode indicates R/1 (AM Radio) as S/1 (A/C). Easy mistake.
The punch through #1 is an inspection punch, not a code.
The speaker could be missing. Check for factory wiring in the trunk/package tray area.

Look for G8R324217 on the radiator support. As this is a St. Louis built car (RS23L8G******), you may need to look on the engine side.

The tag would have come from the factory with a different style screw.

Back