• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More delays with the 426 Hemi build.

Hemi2Much

Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
The machine shop has had my engine for 10 months and I guess it finally got put into rotation. The first call I got was that 4 cylinders needed sleeves that even if they bored it out .060 it still wouldn't completely clean up the cylinders. I told them to go ahead with that. Then I get another call this morning that they can not locate any pistons and everyone is on backorder at least another 2 months out and that is if I put my order in right now. He also said that ARP bolts for the rods mains and heads were on backorder with no issue date.
When is America going to get back to work? When are these supply chain delays going to start to get better?

You need to figure out what parts you need. Get numbers and start looking. There are many suppliers out there. Most people are just to lazy to look. E-Bay, Face Book and others are places to search.

Agreed. Machine shop has their usual sources for things, but they're not going to spend time
scouring the Net to find parts - they have other paying work to be done.
Take the initiative and go hunting yourself!

You need to figure out what parts you need. Get numbers and start looking. There are many suppliers out there. Most people are just to lazy to look. E-Bay, Face Book and others are places to search.

The only problem with that as far as the pistons go, is If I delay putting the order in now for the pistons and I'm still unable to find any, It will be further delayed the longer I wait. I have already started looking for ARP bolts. I'm trying to hold off on some of the smaller things I will need to make sure funds are there when the short block and heads are ready.

There are .060 over JE on ebay but don't know stroke or compression. $185 ea.

********has made part availability and shipping lead times "Not Available" and "Months and Months". I have engines waiting on parts just so I can finish them. Hell, I have had SBC parts come up as "Out of Stock" and that should never happen for a SBC...

The only problem with that as far as the pistons go, is If I delay putting the order in now for the pistons and I'm still unable to find any, It will be further delayed the longer I wait. I have already started looking for ARP bolts. I'm trying to hold off on some of the smaller things I will need to make sure funds are there when the short block and heads are ready.
All you can do is commit to the pistons. If you find ones then you might be able to cancel if not made or sell them. This shortage is going to get worse. Snooze you lose. You have been given options.

What is your bore size? What compression ration?

The bore is .030 over and compression is 11.25:1
They sleeved 4 cylinders and the other 4 machined out but they will be .030 over
Hoping to find some JE pistons but am open to others as well.

I had three cranks in our local shop just for regrinding for over ten months and they had not gotten to them yet. I went and got them, seeking another shop. Seems like most all shops are way behind.....

My father-in-law is seeing the same issues with his speed shop. And he tries like hell, with all kinds of suppliers, to find stuff. Some things are simply not available, or onlly available from some obscure source. And then shipping charges also increase cost like crazy.

Another thing I would look for NOW is a camshaft. Many cores are simply not available.

My father-in-law is seeing the same issues with his speed shop. And he tries like hell, with all kinds of suppliers, to find stuff. Some things are simply not available, or onlly available from some obscure source. And then shipping charges also increase cost like crazy.

Another thing I would look for NOW is a camshaft. Many cores are simply not available.
They already have the cam, springs, lifters, and pushrods.

I saw those, but they are 12.5:1 compression pistons. Not a bad price but not what I'm looking for. But thanks for the heads up.
JKent
You could mill the dome but the machine shop waiting time. Maybe a non- automotive shop?

Sorry but America is never going to get back to work and supply chain issues will be with us for years to come.....the damage has been done and the rate to which it will be un done is far slower than the time to do it. sorry but welcome to 3rd world USA. IM not happy with it and DID NOT vote for it but thats how I feel. I hope im wrong. FJB

Auto Transport Service
Back