• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More giddy up

Unkle Krusty

Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
Probably info here somewhere. My plan for next year. More horsepower from the mighty 318.
77 B200 camper van has about 50,000 miles. Has just a slight flutter on the vacuum gauge. Compression was down a bit, but engine ran better after 5000 miles to the Arctic and back. 318 727 dana 60.
The cheap idea according to info online. 360 iron manifold, 600 cfm carb. Magnum exhaust headers, RV cam and lifters. Having trouble finding used bits.
More $$$. Edelbrock Performer manifold and 600cfm carb, headers, RV cam and lifters not sure of brand, 028 thousand head gaskets.
I would appreciate any ideas, part numbers, advice.
Also. The gearbox does not shift down to first via the lever. I have heard there is a mod / adjustment, that can change this, so the gearbox can manually shift into first.
Otherwise I have to come to a near stop, before it will down shift, and keep it under about 30 mph or it will shift up to second.

We are mobile and running fine, so I do not have to rush into any of this. But I would still like to make the changes this coming late winter and spring. We are going to Wyoming in May, from Gabriola Island ( near Nanaimo ) Vancouver Island.

Thank You. UK. Michael

Last edited:
There are all sorts of options here, however I would start with a known entity meaning that I would make sure that the engine is healthy as is. It more than likely could use a decent valve job with new seals which would all you to have the heads decked just a little to up the compression a slight bit (don't want much or pinging will be an issue).

There is a wide variety of 4BBL intakes out there new and used, pretty much any LA 4BBL intake will work (yes some are better than others) but I would check online, locally and/or wait for local car show that has a swap meet.

For a carb, that is really up to you and what you like and are comfortable working. That said I would not go much more than 600 CFM.

For exhaust you can do headers but understand that what you get in performance is going to be offset by longevity meaning that since you live where you do headers are probably not going to live all that long unless you get them ceramic coated or get stainless and even then they might have a limited life. As you mentioned the Magnum exhaust manifolds might be the right choice, I am not sure be there are some good small block LA manifolds, however give the power levels we are talking here I don't think it is a huge issue. I think some decent porting/gasket matching might be about as good as it needs to get. That said, a good exhaust system is just as important.

For a cam, I would reach out to the various cam manufacturers, tell them exactly what you have (displacement, compression ratio, what you need it to do, etc.) and get their recommendation. They are are going to be far better than getting a variety of info from a forum.

You didn't mention it but you need to spend some time and probably money to really dial in the ignition and tune. For this (and given its an RV) I would install a AFR gauge and then tune that engine for real driving conditions.

I cannot really help you on the trans suffice to say that I am not sure but I think it is working as designed, Chrysler didn't want someone slamming low at pretty much any speed of note, but again there are transmission guys on here that can answer.

I would look for a 360 or 5.9 Magnum.
Longer stroke so more torque.

Edit:

Welcome from NY!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Sir, from the middle of the mitten. Usually, and I say usually, a fluttering vacuum gauge means burnt/open valves or broken valve spring/ or flat cam. A mechanical issue most of the time. Check your valve train.
Best of luck on your project.

Thank you for the replies.
The flutter on the gauge is very minor. I suspect it is a lazy lifter. There is a slight tick. But this will be revealed when I start removing things.
What does the LA refer to? Dual plane I have heard. The suggestion of milling the heads makes more sense than using a thinner gasket.
I sent a msg to Edelbrock and asked what they would suggest.
The ignition is what I would call a first generation electronic unit. Have not studied it much, but it works. What is an AFR gauge?
The engine runs sweet, but has less power than my V6 4.3 007 Chev. But the van does weigh about 6800 pounds loaded. Our top speed problem was limited by our directional stability.
We were wandering all over. The steering box was toast. That has been fixed, but still to test.
I may have started this thread in the Welcome section. Probably should be in the fixit section.

I will stay with the 318. It should be more fuel efficient than the 360, and with a few changes, should have enough power.
The interior is mostly new, so I have a few thoughts on that subject.
Work on the engine will start early in 024. Alongside my boat motor, which has stuck rings.

Not sure why the type is bolt. Oh darn.

Last edited:
Multiple welcome wagon posts (?)
Welcome again, there are other forums here too...

maybe try the search feature tab,
on the top right of every page
Lots of threads covering all of that & then some
try the Resto-Mod & pro-Touring forum too
maybe even the Racers Hangout or General discussion forum
or any # of the Members Build Threads

LA engines were made at Chrysler's Mound Road Engine plant in Detroit, Michigan, as well as plants in Canada and Mexico. The "LA" stands for "Light A," as the 1956–1967 "A" engine it was closely based on and shares many parts with[1] was nearly 50 pounds heavier.[2] The "LA" and "A" production overlapped from 1964–1966 in the U.S. and through 1967 in export vehicles when the "A" 318 engine was phased out.[3]

The basic design of the LA engine would go unchanged through the development of the "Magnum" upgrade (1992–1993), and continue into the 2000s with changes to enhance power and efficiency.[2]

References[edit]​

1. ^ Lotspeich, Justin. "Poly A Block Parts Interchange". Poly318. Poly318.
  2. ^ Jump up to: a b c d e f g h "Willem Weertman, Chrysler engine designer". Allpar. Retrieved 17 December 2017.
  3. ^ Lotspeich, Justin. "Poly A Block History". Poly318. Poly318

Welcome from Alabama, interesting project. Keep us updated.

Auto Transport Service
Back