• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More on the 67 R/T no snorkle air cleaner

dammstrate

Local time
2:01 PM
Reaction score
So what I have found in a few places, is that the oil breather nipple on the side of the air cleaner identifies this as a 68 piece that had the mandatory California "Cleaner Air System" or CAS. Or a 67 that had the CAS that was an option.

--> is there any way to tell from the fender tag if the car originally came with the CAS option?

89184174.jpg

Can't find the code offhand at the moment but some tags I have thrown into the decoder I have seen one for a "Cleaner Air Package" for California emissions. Also not sure what year that applies to.

"thrown into the decoder"?? where would I find this decoder??

To add to the conversation, here is a picture of my largely (95%) original 67 Coronet R/T...built late June 1967 featuring the unsilenced air cleaner assembly without the nipple/CAP. As the year production models ended, Chrysler used existing inventory to control costs (as did all manufacturers) on both the R/T and GTX 440 engines. The difference between 67 to 68 would be the nipple for the CAP provision and larger base plate (AFB to AVS). Of course, leftovers would also be found on early 68 A-body 383 cars too.

Every manufacturer was in it for the money at the time - there was never a consideration for a debate 30+ years later regarding correctness.

thumbnail_IMG_2567.jpg

To add to the conversation, here is a picture of my largely (95%) original 67 Coronet R/T...built late June 1967 featuring the unsilenced air cleaner assembly without the nipple/CAP. As the year production models ended, Chrysler used existing inventory to control costs (as did all manufacturers) on both the R/T and GTX 440 engines. The difference between 67 to 68 would be the nipple for the CAP provision and larger base plate (AFB to AVS). Of course, leftovers would also be found on early 68 A-body 383 cars too.

Every manufacturer was in it for the money at the time - there was never a consideration for a debate 30+ years later regarding correctness.

View attachment 1344692

2016 we were at the Farmington Show. A fellow (original owner) 67 R/T had the unsilenced air cleaner. He was stationed in California, possibly San Diego. He was told that they had run out of dual snorkels when he got his car from the dealer.

I have an unsilenced air cleaner with nipple (can we still say nipple?) on my 1967 R/T. I like it because it is less commonly seen than the double snorkel one. My car is not totally original, but is close enough that I don't get hassled about it. The engine and transmission are 1968 New Yorker, because that is the closest fit that I could find when I found my solid engineless project in the late '80's. I am not a fusspot about matching numbers, but the car should look correct. It was good enough to win a couple of trophies on Carlisle Fun Field.

Auto Transport Service
Back