• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mosquitoes!!

I wish we had your bugs.
But several good tips have been said here. To recap:
No standing water. None. No old tires full of water, puddles, nothing.
Bats, dragon flies, and swallows are your friends.
Eliminate as much undergrowth as you can. Some trees are fine, but you want to encourage a breeze. Cut the lawn.
They are attracted to carbon dioxide, heat, and moisture. Your body gives off all three. Your car gives off lots.
Of the common, easily obtainable repellents Deep Woods Off is as good as any. The old timers up here still reminisce fondly of a product called Muskol. It was straight DEET, nothing else. It melted plastic and caused cancer but damn that stuff was good.
No products work on our flies. Stay near the campfire smoke, go out in the breeze, or stay indoors are the choices.
And do not wear dark clothing. They are attracted to your dark colours because moose, Buffalo, bears etc are all dark coloured. I wear white or very light colours in the summer. It makes a big difference.
You sort of build up an immunity after a while and don’t itch or swell. Yet in Mexico their mosquitos really affect me.
Funny story about dragon flies: we had a huge black cat named Hawkeye. Besides being a big homo he was as dumb as a hammer. His first trip ever outside he came back in looking like he kissed a porcupine. What it was was that he had a mouthful of dragon flies. He thought that they were birds as he had never seen either before. He eventually figured it out.

Last edited:
proven-winners-herb-plants-hercit1017520-64_1000.jpg

We have a few of these Citronella plants around the yard... They smell like lemons and apparently mosquitos don't like lemons... Neighbors bitch about mosquitos all the time, we don't have any...

Wife grows a plant called sage that also works well. Not sure if it’s the same as the spice sage but it grows amazingly well here. Wife weaves wreaths out of it and hangs them on the door to keep bugs out. She gives away piles of it, even mailing it all over Canada.
View attachment 1492722
We have a few of these Citronella plants around the yard... They smell like lemons and apparently mosquitos don't like lemons... Neighbors bitch about mosquitos all the time, we don't have any...

After spending time camping in British Columbia back in the sixties I came away convinced the Canadian Mosquitos are considerably bigger that the American Mosquitos... But I assumed they were still natural mosquitos.. Turns out they are man made... That explains a lot....

As long as they are 'real' mosquitos, they are just an annoyance. Bats, birds, dragonflys etc should keep it in [relative] check assuming you don't live near a swamp.
Now...if they're bill gates mutant mosquitoes, be very very worried... :(

It's been so rainy here for 2 1/2 months my pond in the backyard is full. It's not very big so it would be called stagnant water. It has a little built-in waterfall but it's not turned on right now. I noticed my big plastic wheelbarrow I had tucked away is completely full of water. I have never seen a single mosquito. I think it's our elevation, at 7500' we just don't have bugs. I've seen a couple of ants and every June we have little brown moths caller Miller Moths (mostly at slightly lower elevations) but the birds take care of those. No house flies, no mosquitos. I'm thinking about moving to Leadville, Colorado. Elevation 10,158' The only problem is Colorado is turning into California politically. I'd like to find a pretty spot in Wyoming.

Last edited:
There are no mosquitos in Antarctica.
That's OK Alaska, far more than makes up for it
everyone smells like the musk/deterrents
especially out on the tundra or floating muskeg areas

Noseeum's are the worst

cyper tc kills everything, use with caution. sprayed yard with it lasts 2 to 3 months depending on rainfall. order online

Auto Transport Service
Back