• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mother Always Liked You Best...Tommy Smothers Wont Be Down...

That's to bad, those guys were good.
Funny TV show also.
RIP.

Watched their show back in the day. Pat Paulsen was a presidential candidate from their show. R.I.P. Tommy.

People pass every day. I don't know them any more than I know these celebrities who's passing we get notified of here.
Every once in a while one of these posts affects me a bit more deeply, I don't know why.
This is one of those times.
R.I.P. Tommy and watch over Dick, he might need you more now.

They had to walk a tightrope of comedy,, music and political topics of their times. And they did it well under far tighter restrictions.

RIP.

R.I.P. Tommy. Make them laugh in Heaven! I think Dick used to campaign a Super Stock Olds 442.

R.I.P. Tommy. Make them laugh in Heaven! I think Dick used to campaign a Super Stock Olds 442.
1703722188687.jpeg
1703722278327.jpeg

Aw, man.

Got to see them circa 2005.

Dick came out to talk (and sign things) afterwards, Tom did not.

Been a fan since childhood, despite them being a bit before my time.

Hmmm... somehow my comment above got posted after several others even that weren't up when I posted, so some of it was then redundant. One person did bring up Berejik Olds cars tho...So......
Smother Brothers racing was a 'media' / 'sports production' type company set up as advertising and a way to write off a bit of Dick Smothers' personal expenses/interests in racing. The y sponsored several cars; in drag racing, they had their name on a Top fuel car, tho no Smothers ever piloted it to the best of my limited knowledge. [The Beach Boys did too!] They also did a deal with Oldsmobile - unofficially of course as Olds wasnt racing - thru a dealer back east called Berejik. They achieved some success with their W31 Cutlass convertible - it fit in a unique weight break - and Berejik had some pretty good success with a string of 442s before, during and after the sponsorship. Smothers certainly drove the cars occasionally, but they were campaigned by others.
Smothers did some road racing - he had a Formula A car [F5000] and bought a few rides with John Greenwood in his Corvettes. I don't know what all cars smothers used to get his SCCA license - one doesn't just walk in a race a Formula A car, even with lots of money - but I remember the F5000 deal. He was at a couple of tracks when I was there and the media circus was silly. Not nearly as bad as when Paul Newman showed up to SCCA races, but it was still a bit pathetic. Granted, I'm not much for 'celebrity' status, so my viewpoint may be a tad biased. Loved the exposure the name got for those Oldsmobiles tho! :)
(understand that I am NO fan of them as 'entertainers' , but given the 'name' and attendant publicity, much ink was spilt about them, so I do have some memories of his racing.)

Last edited:
I remember a skit they did with Tommy saying 'hail to the chief and hail to a few other people and things (iirc) and Dick asked him what are you doing and Tommy dead panned 'raising a lot of hail' and well, got a full house laugh. Yup, couldn't say damn even on TV back then. Good stuff for sure. Rest in peace Tommy.

Auto Transport Service
Back