• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MotorTrend Car Fix Dodge Coronet

Mopar Hunter

Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
Don’t shoot the messenger, on Sunday’s Car Fix, they transplanted a Toyota 2JZ engine and a Nissan transmission into a 1967 Dodge Coronet. Did anybody watch it?

9790A94D-C252-4522-87EB-4D99D4C57096.jpeg

Yeah, I saw what they were doing. Why would anyone go through all that? Seemed like it was a pretty nice Coronet too. I changed the channel not long after seeing that.

Finnegan already did that with a Charger IIRC...

Last edited:
I watched part of it last night. Too bad as the Coronet was, in my opinion, the perfect candidate for a day two build. Has a cool early 80's street racer look to it.

Generally I like the two guys on Car Fix now, but not really sure why you would put that engine in a Coronet. In their defense they stated it was a customers car.

A stated above, Finnegan already did that on an episode of Roadkill and I didn't like it then either.

If I were to do any transplant I would consider:

1. A 5.9 magnum
2. A 392 Hemi

I certainly wouldn't put an engine with less torque than a 318 ci poly-shere in it.

These guys did a "resto" on a 65 Coronet for a giveaway. Turned it into a nice driver.

Yeah Finnegan did it to his charger. Which I didn’t mind too much, they’re cool 6 cylinders, and it was different. Now everyone sees it and just copy and paste, now it’s not as cool

Pootube destroys more cars than anything these days. I'm not sure which is worse the attention whores doing the stuff or the Cheeto eating couch potatoes that watch it.

I threw up in my mouth,when I saw what they were doing to that nice Coronet! Japaneese crap needs to stay in Japanese cars. Tune in next week,when they put an LS into a matching numbers 71 Hemicuda convertible.

I threw up in my mouth,when I saw what they were doing to that nice Coronet! Japaneese crap needs to stay in Japanese cars. Tune in next week,when they put an LS into a matching numbers 71 Hemicuda convertible.
“We’re going to put a nasty ls that’s bad to the bone, we’re going to get rid of the garbage front suspension so it can ride on rails, and have a nice stance, and while we’re at it we’re going to throw a killer 9” because that dana 60 will never hold up. And then we’ll put some wicked 23s” it’s going be a wild project. Also while we’re doing this we’re going to name the brand of everything we touch, we’re only going to spend 10 minutes working on the car, and spend 20 minutes talking about the brands that pay us.”

How close am I? :rofl:

They need to bag it and slam it into the weeds! I don't know what worse,23 inch bling wheels,or Hemi car owners polishing their dog dish hubcaps,both kinda turn my stomach!

Yeah Finnegan did it to his charger. Which I didn’t mind too much, they’re cool 6 cylinders, and it was different. Now everyone sees it and just copy and paste, now it’s not as cool
It never sounded cool. 6 cylinder engines that is. At least to me. I think a 273 2 bbl. with a hole in the muffler would sound better. :D

Extremely polarizing issue for me.

I LOVE 66 Coronets.

I just can't be a toyota guy.

“We’re going to put a nasty ls that’s bad to the bone, we’re going to get rid of the garbage front suspension so it can ride on rails, and have a nice stance, and while we’re at it we’re going to throw a killer 9” because that dana 60 will never hold up. And then we’ll put some wicked 23s” it’s going be a wild project. Also while we’re doing this we’re going to name the brand of everything we touch, we’re only going to spend 10 minutes working on the car, and spend 20 minutes talking about the brands that pay us.”

How close am I? :rofl:
1670258293163.png

I saw the beginning of the show and when i saw the Jap engine ,I changed channels. The Coronet needed a Mopar Engine, Not a Rice Burner ! Just Sayin'

Maybe a subaru guy.....if one was given to me.

Maybe.

These guys did a "resto" on a 65 Coronet for a giveaway. Turned it into a nice driver.

I like Paul and the gang. As typical I imagine, found them off the Matt's Recovery channel.

I like Paul and the gang. As typical I imagine, found them off the Matt's Recovery channel.
They definitely seem like good people that just like to get after it in the shop. I like the low-dollar fabrication and ingenuity!

Auto Transport Service
Back