• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mounting an Electric Fuel Pump

Carter makes a economically priced pump with filter that I installed on my 65 Coronet-stock, for that very situation. Works well.
Carter P90091: Universal In Line Electric Fuel Pump - JEGS
Mike
View attachment 1523451
I like this idea and have been thinking of doing the same, but what is the line size of that particular setup Mike?
I assume it allows pass-through of fuel even when not energized - but the (limited) specs on that linked Jegs
page doesn't show this pump to be capable of feeding your average V-8 by itself?

I would never run that amount of rubber line especially in an area that is cooked with the exhaust heat and not easily inspected. This setup is a good way to burn your car up as todays rubbers dry rot quickly even tires can not be sold legally after so many months.
Dunno if slicks or such are different, but last I checked new street tires can be sold until over 6 years from manufacture date.

Yes, of course "rubber" fuel lines should be kept well clear of heat sources, but the problem with them is more which
type of rubber lines one uses - there are different types.
The el cheapo fuel line from the box stores is to be avoided, as the fuel out there now eats the damn stuff from the
inside; if one buys the more expensive "fuel injection" rated black "rubber" lines, you avoid that issue.

Dunno if slicks or such are different, but last I checked new street tires can be sold until over 6 years from manufacture date.

Yes, of course "rubber" fuel lines should be kept well clear of heat sources, but the problem with them is more which
The el cheapo fuel line from the box stores is to be avoided, as the fuel out there now eats the damn stuff from the
inside; if one buys the more expensive "fuel injection" rated black "rubber" lines, you avoid that issue.
I almost found that out that hard way, doing some unrelated work one day I found a ten year old fuel injection hose still soft and the cheapo one on the other side of the pump was hard as a rock. Had I not been giving things a once over I'm sure it would have let go by now.

That set-up is the cheap rubber hose from a typical auto parts store... And as far as today's stuff I had a valve stem blow out on my 17 Ram yesterday after washing it.. Walked up shut the hose heard a loud spray noise, I thought anyway was like WTF? Went down and it turns it was the air blowing out at the stem and rim. Just got back from getting a new one installed guy said it was dry rotted.

To recap,Electric fuel pumps are designed to push fuel so mount as close to tank as possible.
Mount to the frame if possible and as low as possible in relation to the fuel tank. Gravity is your friend.
Mount an oil pressure cut off switch to cut power to pump when oil pressure drops below 5 lbs.
16 ga. wire minimum. Fuel injection type clamps for flex lines. Braided/internal PTFE lined lines prefered.
May need an adjustable regulator depending on pump type to prevent starvation or excessive pressure to the needle/seat.

To recap,Electric fuel pumps are designed to push fuel so mount as close to tank as possible.
Mount to the frame if possible and as low as possible in relation to the fuel tank. Gravity is your friend.
Mount an oil pressure cut off switch to cut power to pump when oil pressure drops below 5 lbs.
16 ga. wire minimum. Fuel injection type clamps for flex lines. Braided/internal PTFE lined lines prefered.
May need an adjustable regulator depending on pump type to prevent starvation or excessive pressure to the needle/seat.
... and use flexible rubber hose as minimally as possible, and away from exhaust heat.

Auto Transport Service
Back