• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD 6AL Digital No Spark At Cranking

Iroll65coronet4speed

Local time
4:56 AM
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I Hope what I am about to post regarding my brand new MSD 6AL Digital box (Part # 6425). This post may be a little long but I hope this bit of information helps someone out there. Please... if anyone has anyone any information to help me then please weigh in.

First... I have a brand new 493 Stroker built to go in my 65 Coronet 500. I went with the Mopar vacuum advance/magnetic pick up distributor and am (hopefully) going to use the MSD box to send some spark to the holes. I set the engine up on my test stand 4 weekends ago. In a nut shell, we were not getting spark out of the MSD box at cranking RPM. After quadruple checking the wiring we could not find anything wrong with the set up against the diagram supplied in the MSD manual. The box would NOT spark while cranking the engine no matter what we tried.... even hooking the small red wire directly to the battery positive post to eliminate any chance of voltage drop during cranking. If you left everything hooked up and removed the distributor and turned it by hand (a little faster then the starter would crank it I guess) then it would throw a spark out of the coil wire you could weld with! Set the distributor back into the engine and crank it... nothing. I tried a second distributor and a second coil and still no change.

Since this was the first start up to break in the cam on my engine and re-priming the engine 3 times because of the excessive cranking I called MSD. They told me about the test procedure to tell if the box was operating and I performed the test (with the jumper wire/in the directions). The test showed the box to be operating the way it was designed but this problem of no spark during cranking the engine was still there. After 2 more weekends messing with this thing I finally called MSD again and asked them if they would take it back and exchange me another box. They agreed and I went to the auto parts store, explained to them what was going on, gave them the guy's name at MSD and they exchanged the box. I thought my problems was solved.... no chance! The second box done the same thing.

After cranking the hell out of my brand new engine and still not hearing this bad boy come to life I finally hooked the ol' trusty orange box up and the engine finally fired up and we broke the engine in with no problems.

I call MSD for the third time and told them the second box did not work and the rest of the story. I told the tech guy that is was almost like there needed to be some type of amplifier in the system so it would spark during cranking (I even purchased a new battery with 810 cranking amps). This must have triggered something in his brain and after he put me on hold for a few minutes, he came back and basically told me that the Mopar magnetic pick up distributors were "hit and miss" (LMAO!!!!!/again I tried 2 with the same results) and he told me that I would basically have to use the orange box to trigger the distributor and the MSD box would handle the multi spark and the rev limiter. How he told me how to wire this was to take the original positive from the orange box and hook it to the small red wire on the MSD harness. Take the original coil negative and hook into the white wire from the MSD harness (white wire originally not used with a magnetic distributor). Then he told me to hook the orange (coil positive) and black (coil negative) from the MSD harness to the coil. This is supposed to allow the orange box to trigger the distributor and since the MSD box is hooked to the coil I will get the benefits or the multi spark below 3000 rpm and the rev limiter.

Thanks for reading this. As far as I know, there is nothing on the internet about this. Surely not anything in the MSD directions and I hope it help someone out. Honestly, I have not tried this to see if it works but if this post gets any interest, I will certainly let you guys know how it works out.

Honestly I wished I would have stayed away from MSD because I still have to use my original orange box. I have seen on the net of a original type box from 4secondsflat.com and Don over there has been a great help on other issues. They sell a really nice set up that looks original and has all of the benefits of a capacitive discharge system and a rev limiter.

Thanks guys....
David

I had similar issues to yours above. I have had three ignition boxes in the car in the past year alone. One Mallory, one older style MSD6AL, and now a newer style MSD6AL which has been great. What I had to do to fix the problem, was actually run the 'ign 12V' source to a constant 12V toggle in my switch panel. If you are connecting it to an ignition primed 12V source, it won't work; at least it didn't on mine anyway. I am also running the Mopar Performance Distributor. So, main 12V power source to battery. Secondary or (on-off/ignition triggered) power source to toggle/switch box which is also 12V constant from the battery. The ignition box would not fire off with anything 'ignition triggered' on the engine harness. I called MSD and had to jump through hoops of fire as well, because my Mallory box worked fine off of the ignition source. I am not going to run an ignition box, to trigger another ignition box that triggers a distributor that the first ignition box should be doing. That just doesn't make any sense.. I know you said you did something similar, but this is what I had to do to make it work. Hope this helps.

Sweet5ltr:

Thanks for the reply... Also see my PM as well. I just got back in town and have not had a chance to try what MSD recommended. And I feel the same way... I should not have to use one box piggy backed off another box. I just really feel like I did not get my 250 dollars worth or whatever from MSD. And to have them ultimately still blame the Chrys distributor about knocked me out of my chair.

I have heard about the toggle switch way of doing it. After hearing this I hooked the small red wire (trigger wire) directly to the battery and still had no spark. For test running purposes is this the same thing?

Thanks in advance for any help on this. I will hopefully get to try it out this coming up long weekend and see what happens.

I know it's 6 years later but I'm having a cranking issue too. I just rigged my box up like this and still no spark. Do you plug the msd into the distributor or the orange box?

FWIW, a lot of people have problems with the MSD because of Mopar's two separate ignition systems IGN1 and IGN2. IGN1 shuts off when the key is turned to START so the only way to get constant power to the MSD is to tie IGN1 and IGN2 together and hook them to the MSD trigger (red) wire.

Sorry if everybody already knows this.

MSD is super simple to get working —- you have coil connector (+|-), distributor connector, two main battery positive/negative leads (which should be ran directly to the battery), and one switched 12V source (which must have power under cranking, which in simple terms, it tells the CD ignition box when to turn on and off). Easiest setup for the switched 12v source is to bypass wiring it into an existing harness, and run a simple rocker or toggle switch (hidden) under the dash or in the glove box. All the ignition key does at this point is provide signal for the charging circuit, starter, and other secondary functions.

Auto Transport Service
Back