• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD ready to run and 6 ignition box

northeastmoparnet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:23 AM
Reaction score
I bought a ready to run for my 383 and was curious about hooking it to the 6AL MSD ignition box and what the advantages of doing this? MSD says the RTR distributor needs no ignition box but they also show a diagram and say the RTR can be used with the ignition box? But they do not clarify why you would or would not want to do this. I wired up my 416 stroker 340 motor this way and the car runs fine but I am lost as to what the advantage was other than spending an additional 600 bucks. I also was wondering about the advance bushings in my 340 stroker. I don't remember changing them to anything other than what the distributor came with from the factory. Would changing them produce a quicker running car? I just drive this on the street and do not race with it. I just wanted to get rid of that mopar orange box stuff and I decided to go with the MSD. Looking for a little guidance here regarding the 383 car and the MSD 6AL with the RTR distributor.

R2R is kinda redundant with a 6AL but yeah they offer instructions on using it both ways. If you don't race, no need to worry about the car being quicker. If you have it set up to run good for cruising the street, don't try to fix what isn't broken.

Adding the 6X box just means more things to fail. Unless you are running high rpms, like 7000+, there is no benefit to the capacitor discharge system used by the 6 & 7 boxes.

More here on the comparison between inductive & CD ign.

www.worldphaco.net

Auto Transport Service
Back