• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Muscle cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the GTX not a Belvedere / Satellite platform? Am I missing something here?
It's the same body and frame as a Satellite. And both my GTX titles said Belvedere special. RS23.

I Know that, I just didn't get the full / mid size discussion?

Anyway, I'm fairly certain a '66 Hemi Coronet IS a muscle car........fancy letters or not!

Correction, I guess it does have fancy letters: HEMI!

Last edited:
I Know that, I just didn't get the full / mid size discussion?

Anyway, I'm fairly certain a '66 Hemi Coronet IS a muscle car........fancy letters or not!

Correction, I guess it does have fancy letters: HEMI!
One other detail that may help? All the cars on my list did not have a 4 door option?
Cornet, Satellite, Belvedere, Polara, Savoy (As well as others from the other manufacturers.) had 4 door options at least one time in their existence. The GTX is so muscle it ceased to exist after the horsepower wars ended in 71.

For 1972 through 1974, any Road Runner ordered with the optional 440 was renamed Road Runner GTX and included the badging of both previous models.

Chevelle? Just sayin'

458_69vel_3_low_res.jpeg

Sorry. That's not an SS. Plenty of Malibu's And also, it wouldn't surprise me if a manufacturer made a police special out of one or two.

So he has worked everyone into a lather over the definition of what a REAL muscle car is. LOL. By most standards according to this link he is right. https://musclecarclub.com/muscle-car-definition/

Then there is the, depends on who you ask, which turns his 64 GTO into, as he stated,"This of course is just my opinion", just that, an opinion. It's hard for me not to look at a 1961 Chevrolet Impala SS 409 and not think muscle car, my list goes on, but again, just an opinion. We could cut, paste and google all day, but this will do.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/03/08/what-was-the-first-muscle-car

So he has worked everyone into a lather over the definition of what a REAL muscle car is. LOL. By most standards according to this link he is right. https://musclecarclub.com/muscle-car-definition/

Should have figured there was a "Muscle Car Club" that had long ago answered the question. Lol. And yes, there are plenty of examples that though technically may not a by Hoyal definition a "Muscle car", but no real sin calling it one. 409 cars, max wedge cars. I bet they didn't squabble over terminology? In fact. I don't believe the term "Muscle car" was used until after the era? (But I could be wrong.)

At least we can almost all agree that Mustangs and Corvettes do not belong in the Muscle Car category. :lol:

Anything else is just semantics.

Corvette? I believe Muscle car was born because of the Corvette? "Working man's Sports car." Along with some of the European sports cars that were coming into US market.

Nope. Belvedere was full size. Like I said. It's argumentative. And very subjective. But stuffing a bigger motor doesn't make it a Muscle car. Otherwise? Everything could be?

It’s like you skimmed a muscle car picture book with half the pages torn out. you’ve turned what coulda been fun into a dumb discussion.

It’s like you skimmed a muscle car picture book with half the pages torn out. you’ve turned what coulda been fun into a dumb discussion.
It is fun. Taking it too serious is your problem. I posted an opinion. That's all. The point of my opinion is that the term "Muscle car" is used too often. I believe if the car had a 4-door option? It's a family car that may at one time been "Muscled up." Muscle cars were purposefully built. And did not have family or more efficient options. If you have a counter? Please, by all means?

Last edited:
Well. The tread did better than I thought before it pissed people off. The funny thing was I first heard the term "Muscle car" after 1971. I would be interested when the term was first published? (Car ad or magazine article?) It certainly wasn't before 1964.

bitd here on the east coast
the top dog cars were called supercars back then,and the smaller cars were called pony cars.
im not even sure that musclecar term came around until the 80-s and the magazines started using it.
muscle back then meant how big was your motor,or how strong.
somehow it evolved into muscle-cars.
what kinda arm you got in that thang?
crank size..
whats the lung cost you?
blower...
Slang.

now the term supercars means a totally different Class of cars,
as in exotic high end expensive types.
and pony cars are often thought of as mustangs.

ps,spread some more Amc love please,
as in 1971 we got our heads upgraded to dogleg ports and really! had good motors.
in 72 we finally got real transmissions too,with the intro of the 727 for amc-s.

It is fun. Taking it too serious is your problem. I posted an opinion. That's all. The point of my opinion is that the term "Muscle car" is used too often. I believe if the car had a 4-door option? It's a family car that may at one time been "Muscled up." Muscle cars were purposefully built. And did not have family or more efficient options. If you have a counter? Please, by all means?

im pretty sure the Aussies will have a counter for you on that 4 door thing,
as they Preferred 4 door cars and theirs were built high performance from the factories over there.
plus,they turned out some amazingly good looking cars too.

bitd here on the east coast
the top dog cars were called supercars back then,and the smaller cars were called pony cars.
im not even sure that musclecar term came around until the 80-s and the magazines started using it.
muscle back then meant how big was your motor,or how strong.
somehow it evolved into muscle-cars.
what kinda arm you got in that thang?
crank size..
whats the lung cost you?
blower...
Slang.

now the term supercars means a totally different Class of cars,
as in exotic high end expensive types.
and pony cars are often thought of as mustangs.

ps,spread some more Amc love please,
as in 1971 we got our heads upgraded to dogleg ports and really! had good motors.
in 72 we finally got real transmissions too,with the intro of the 727 for amc-s.
Supercars is another term used too lightly. Unfortunately I don't have experience with this class of car. (Out of my price range.) Ask the question. "First Supercar?" And let the fighting begin.

im pretty sure the Aussies will have a counter for you on that 4 door thing,
as they Preferred 4 door cars and theirs were built high performance from the factories over there.
plus,they turned out some amazingly good looking cars too.
I'm sure different countries did have different tastes. The first time I heard the term "Muscle car" was in '77. An older friend working on a '70 Superbee. When I then purchased my first Muscle car. (2nd car overall.) A '66 GTO. He said. "Another muscle car in the neighborhood." I've owned and sold many since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back