• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 440 needs a new mini high torque starter. Recommendations?

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
I saw on Roadkill once that you can get a mini starter for several 80’s model Mopars that will work on a 440. Can someone tell me what that is? I have a Summit high torque starter (4 years old) and will hardly turn over after it gets hot. It also struggles a little cold now that I have 10:1 compression vs 8.9:1.
Sonny

Hard to even get an old style Chrysler starter anymore. They claim all the core have dried up. They now just give you the 90's style smaller factory starter for a Dakota as mentioned above or for a Ram.
I have one on my 74 New Yorker and you have to add a 90 degree adapter to get it to clear on a big block.
I have Powermaster mini starters on my Charger and Challenger with big blocks also.

I installed a mini starter on my 440 but I cannot remember the brand. But I had to get the adapter from mancini to move the wiring away from the block. Outside of that works great
1677110283623.png

Before you go and replace the starter are you sure it's not your battery or battery cables?
Either can have the same symptoms.

And yes a 90's Dakota or Ram starter

I've had the Dakota/Ram magnum engines starter on my 440 for over a dozen years now.
Yes, with headers too. Never an issue with the starter - and bonus is, if you fetch a rebuilt
from one of those box parts stores, free lifetime warranty!
(Oh - they cost less than half of what those "mini" starters do, too).

My son has found shiny new ones in the junkyard for $10

I looked up the specs of a power master vs parts store 90s dodge, same thing way cheaper. Like many have said, go to Oreillys and get one

I bought a new one, not reman, from Rock Auto a few years ago for $75 and have it on a crate 472 Hemi and it works just fine.

One thing powermaster does well is play nice with headers in regards to heat soak. If I had manifolds I would use a stock starter.

Make sure you check the HP rating of the starter. Not the tq rating. If you want a a starter that will crank anything, make sure it is at least 3 hp......like the MSD DynaForce 3.4 hp.
Some factory starters [ maybe not Mopar ] were under 1 hp.

Before you go and replace the starter are you sure it's not your battery or battery cables?
Either can have the same symptoms.

And yes a 90's Dakota or Ram starter
Or a spun ring gear like I had but of course it acted different than the OP problems. Thought it was the starter lol

I've been using the same stock Mopar mini starters in all my stuff for years. Nothing fancy. They work. Racecar has had the same one 10 years. 580" 15-1 compression, fixed at 35 degrees during crank. No problem cranking at all.
Doug

I've been using the same stock Mopar mini starters in all my stuff for years. Nothing fancy. They work. Racecar has had the same one 10 years. 580" 15-1 compression, fixed at 35 degrees during crank. No problem cranking at all.
Doug
No need to buy a high dollar starter. All your paying for is the name and sticker on the side. The stock starter cranks my 528 Hemi with a/c and headers just fine when hot.

Here is a list, go to the parts store the part number is 17466

Mini Started List.jpg

There is even a smaller starter that works... Ask for one from a 2005-2008 Dodge Ram with a 5.7 and a MANUAL transmission, the automatic starter for this application is totally different and will not fit.

It is a coaxial (planetary) gear reduction design, not offset like the Chrysler and Nippondenso gear reduction starter designs. That's why the motor housing is directly in line with the starter drive axis, thus making the whole starter more "laterally compact".

Be sure and get a genuine starter with a Chrysler, Denso, or Nippondenso nameplate on it. The Chinese copycats flooding the market (advertised at parts stores as "100% new!") are junk. A used genuine starter from a wrecking yard is preferable to a new fake/Chinese or "remanufactured" starter."

Starter.jpg

Last edited:
One thing powermaster does well is play nice with headers in regards to heat soak. If I had manifolds I would use a stock starter.
So does the factory Magnum one. Mine works fine with the ignorantly designed Hedman 2" primary headers
on Fred's 440.
Yes, some 8lb sledge "tuning" was needed of one header tube, but no worries 14 years later....

Power master on my 440. Works great

Auto Transport Service
Back