• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '69 440 GTX vs My 2003 Mustang Cobra 4.6.

Thing was when I got the Rx7 it was ugly as hell. I was going to paint it that GEO storm green. But the guy who painted it ran out. But he had a half gallon of Ford motor blue. We painted it ford engine blue. Everyone knew who I was and what that car was capable of. I ended up blowing out the rear end smoking 30 feet of 2nd gear posi. I priced a rear end and at the time I didn't have the money. So I sold the car.
But I ended up buying 8 more after that. Most were parts cars. Only ever had 3 running and driving. But none were as fast as what I call the Smurf mobile.
Japan did hit while the iron was hot in 80s. They vastly improved their quality control. And produced winners. Almost single handedly started the "Tuner" era. Of course us muscle car era frown on those builds. As the Hotrod crowd frowned on Muscle cars a generation before. I believe it's EV turn? They are even less cool. But have some impressive performance and efficiency technologies.

Thing was when I got the Rx7 it was ugly as hell. I was going to paint it that GEO storm green. But the guy who painted it ran out. But he had a half gallon of Ford motor blue. We painted it ford engine blue. Everyone knew who I was and what that car was capable of. I ended up blowing out the rear end smoking 30 feet of 2nd gear posi. I priced a rear end and at the time I didn't have the money. So I sold the car.
But I ended up buying 8 more after that. Most were parts cars. Only ever had 3 running and driving. But none were as fast as what I call the Smurf mobile.

Mazda to me doesn’t really make nice looking cars, the Miata was various colors and pieces from a friend who like you had a stash of parts cars. I rattle canned it in sort of a medium red over many coats of primer with all the debris from dusty driveway paint jobs and it was great. Never had to wash and wax and detail…..saved so much time…..:lol::steering::steering:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mazda to me doesn’t really make nice looking cars, the Miata was various colors and pieces from a friend who like you had a stash of parts cars. I rattle canned it in sort of a medium red over many coats of primer with all the debris from dusty driveway paint jobs and it was great. Never had to wash and wax and detail…..saved so much time…..:lol::steering::steering:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
My second one. I think was a 79 Rx7. It was in grey primer the whole time I had it. It was easier to touch up the primer than it was to wash it. So I bet it had 37 coats of primer.

It doesn’t surprise me that the GTX caught the Mustang at the top. When stock a GTX was capable of 150 of of the showroom floor.

It doesn’t surprise me that the GTX caught the Mustang at the top. When stock a GTX was capable of 150 of of the showroom floor.
True. But what is surprising that a stock and mostly original chassis and front-end components can still after 50+ years? I have even pushed faster than this one event. Only lifting because of symptoms of valve float at 6000 RPM. (Stock tach. So one must take it with a grain of salt.) 150 speedo buried. But car floating nice. (GPS actually suggesting a little over 140. Not 150+) Fear of tire failure was more of a concern. The Cobra with much tighter steering definitely scarier at those speeds. But I'm satisfied with its performance too. Don't get me wrong.

My daily driver? 2014 Cadillac XTS VSport. Twin turbo V-6 AWD. That engine produces 410 HP. But the additional Cadillac weight and AWD drivetrain demands does limit to 135. But car very stable. Just the V-6 has had enough at that speed.

All 3 are capable of repeating today. I have a '74 drag race setup Duster with a 600+ HP 451. It is done at 135. But that's with 4.56:1 rear gear. So that 135 is just after 1/4 mi pass. Thus easily crushes the street cars in standing 1/4. Running 10.30s.

344x258.jpeg ZomboDroid 27062021135616.jpg

....don't forget your 69-X is dragging around alot more US Steel than the 03 Stang. Maybe a set of 3.73s or 4.10s coming off the line would benefit early on until your 'X' starts deep breathing. Did your "X" front end start to lift(float)at top end speeds, my 69 RR did. A slight feeling of lift or steering float coupled with air turbulence from underside of car....very spooky.
BTW...Very nice 'X'.

....don't forget your 69-X is dragging around alot more US Steel than the 03 Stang. Maybe a set of 3.73s or 4.10s coming off the line would benefit early on until your 'X' starts deep breathing. Did your "X" front end start to lift(float)at top end speeds, my 69 RR did. A slight feeling of lift or steering float coupled with air turbulence from underside of car....very spooky.
BTW...Very nice 'X'.
Actually they weight very simular. What is different than my first '69 GTX? This has 28" tall tires on 15" Rally rim. Fronts are same style but 14" rim. This lifts rear about 1" while dropped front end about 1/2" (I believe due to weight transfer difference?) But it REALLY seems to work? With very little visual effect. I remember back in the day we were told this was a no-no? But with no real explanation why? I bought car like this. And I honestly didn't notice until I got her home. After a very nice 250 mi drive. (Poor chase truck struggled bad trying to keep up. Lol)

I understand it's impossible to directly compare any car. Even of identical build. Each car has its own personality if you would?

Actually they weight very simular. What is different than my first '69 GTX? This has 28" tall tires on 15" Rally rim. Fronts are same style but 14" rim. This lifts rear about 1" while dropped front end about 1/2" (I believe due to weight transfer difference?) But it REALLY seems to work? With very little visual effect. I remember back in the day we were told this was a no-no? But with no real explanation why? I bought car like this. And I honestly didn't notice until I got her home. After a very nice 250 mi drive. (Poor chase truck struggled bad trying to keep up. Lol)

I understand it's impossible to directly compare any car. Even of identical build. Each car has its own personality if you would?
A 03 Mustang weighs almost 4000 pounds?

A 03 Mustang weighs almost 4000 pounds?
I believe 03 Stains go for 3300-3500, where as 69 B-bodies average 3400-3800..with the convertibles weighting the most. Also consider the profiles...03s are far more streamlined then the b-body bulldozers.

I believe 03 Stains go for 3300-3500, where as 69 B-bodies average 3400-3800..with the convertibles weighting the most. Also consider the profiles...03s are far more streamlined then the b-body bulldozers.
The actual weigh of a stock GTX is more closer to 3800 to 4000 pounds. The factory advertised weights were always less than the actual weight.

The actual weigh of a stock GTX is more closer to 3800 to 4000 pounds. The factory advertised weights were always less than the actual weight.
My first GTX (manual everything) weight was 3670 lbs at the track. This GTX has power steering. So add about 30lbs. Very close to Cobra weight.

Last edited:
What year was your other GTX?
Same. '69. Same color. Same 440 performance package. Same 4-speed. (I sold first to buy a minivan when my 4th child in 5 years was born. 1991) I obviously did what I had to do. But that also obviously haunted me. So kids are grown. And found this guy 3 years ago near Canadian boarder here in Minnesota.

So no. We never really grow up!

Last edited:
Thats exactly why back in the late 80s early 90's I stayed away from the mustangs. Everyone had them and I mean EVERYONE. The others had Iroc Camaros. My I went by way of Japan with a street ported 12A Mazda Rx7. That little car would smoke most factory V8 cars with no issue.
I went with Buick GN. Muscle car guys hated that car. Never got that. It looked somewhat throwback. Just had a 6 I guess that people didn't like. But what the heck about a Slant 6? :)

I went with Buick GN. Muscle car guys hated that car. Never got that. It looked somewhat throwback. Just had a 6 I guess that people didn't like. But what the heck about a Slant 6? :)
The problem was that after 120 the GN runs out of steam or so I’m told.

I like that car. Or any car that stunned the automotive performance market. It's why I also like AMC AMX? It's build quality really isn't that special. In fact, less then average. But it's performance output back in the day stunned a lot of people. People who first laughed at AMC throwing their hat into the performance ring.

I like that car. Or any car that stunned the automotive performance market. It's why I also like AMC AMX? It's build quality really isn't that special. In fact, less then average. But it's performance output back in the day stunned a lot of people. People who first laughed at AMC throwing their hat into the performance ring.
They were called the corvette killer. The GN was a bad little ride.

Found this on a Youtube video about a GN vs a Z06
"I'm in the Grand National. I thought I'd get beat by the Z06, but I hole-shot him and even though he had a quicker ET and higher trap speed, he didn't quite run me down."

87 GN
RT: 0.054
60': 2.315
330': 6.005
1/8: 9.076 @ 80.28
1000' : 11.712
1/4: 13.956 @ 99.63

Corvette Z06
RT: 0.633
60': 2.415
330': 6.217
1/8: 9.215 @ 83.88
1000' : 11.707
1/4: 13.802 @ 108.13
GN wins by 0.4258

Last edited:
Yes! Good job. 12 second GN's with bolt on's are now pedestrian. I run high 11 to low 12 on pump gas/methanol with bolt on's. I have some friends that are much more serious and run mid 10's...yes, mid 10's with full interiors etc. Of course, they are not just bolt on's. Like you, I like cars that make people go "what"?...

I like all kinds of cars, but the Mopars are still my faves. Even when my fellow Mopar guys reject my GN as "legitimate" muscle car.

The problem was that after 120 the GN runs out of steam or so I’m told.

Actually, the problem is that they run out of road...they like to start floating. Top end is not an issue as much as suspension not built for high speeds. Should be noted that the record holder for top speed at the Silver State Challenge was a GN for awhile.....not quite stock. I think it hit 208 top end.

Auto Transport Service
Back