• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My clutch pedal sticks on my '69 Runner

eastyorker

Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
On my 1969 Road Runner the clutch pedal sticks coming halfway up from the floor. Are there any lube points to alleviate it? Or anything else to look at?

Clutch adjustment... The pedal should come all the way up because of the force of the pressure plate fingers forcing the pedal back up - if it is getting stuck it generally means you need to tighten the clutch adjustment.

Is the return spring present?

Thanks! I'll look for the spring. How do I tighten the clutch adjustment?

Clutch adjustment is done underneath the car - adjusting the nut on the threaded rod towards the rear of the vehicle will tighten the clutch adjustment

Is the return spring present?

The "Over-Center" spring is to assist in pushing the clutch pedal down, not to bring it back up. The Borg & Beck pressure plate is stiff, and requires help pushing the pedal down.

Provided the clutch engagement is good(clutch starts to grab about an inch and a half off the floor) there is no need to mess with the adjustment. Is the pedal hard to push? If not i would say the pivot points in the linkage are ok. Might want to check just to be sure, the z bar mounts take a lot of abuse but still should not be enough friction there to keep the pedal from returning. Sounds to me like you have a weak pressure plate. Should be a noticable effort to push the pedal down. If there is not much resistance going down then there will not be much force pressing back up. That is unless you have a centerforce clutch. Regardless, sounds like a weak pressure plate

Auto Transport Service
Back