• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My kingdom for an affordable, yet comfortable (cozy??) office chair for a bigger fella!

This may help...
No problem. I too suffer the effects of 47
years of sitting 12 hours/day in chairs that
felt more like sitting on a hickory stump.
I feel your pain.
I actually worked at one place in Ohio that
utilized fold up metal chairs for all of their
engineers. Agggh....

Last edited:
Gentlemen, thank you for all the efforts and suggestions.
A few caveats here, if I may:
- My "Google-fu" is strong; so is my Duckduckgo-fu and any other search engine-fu.
- If I go through one more of those phony "Top XX office chairs" lists, I'm gonna hurl.
(Lots of filler and product placements in those).
- Reminder: I need a BIG chair, not one of the latest mesh little things made for 150 pounders
at best - and do you notice that even when you find a "big + tall" chair ad, the model presenting
it is downright scrawny?

What I'm saying is - I'd rather hear from other members of a similar stature who have found a
truly comfortable chair, one good for long hours and such.
Thanks!

I setup my desk space in my garage after my wife took over the office when she started working remotely some years ago. It is a standing workspace with a foot bar to elevate one or the other leg when I want to. For some reason, I find standing longer periods of time better than sitting.

I setup my desk space in my garage after my wife took over the office when she started working remotely some years ago. It is a standing workspace with a foot bar to elevate one or the other leg when I want to. For some reason, I find standing longer periods of time better than sitting.
I envy you...

Back to the topic at hand, I did the walk of shame today to the Staples an hour away, returning the latest chair
we had bought over the weekend.
You know the drill - the worn out one in the store felt fine, but that brand new one out of the box....doesn't.
After that, there won't be any more store-bought ones - there's none to try, seen them all at this point.
Nobody - I mean nobody - sells any big enough for a grown-*** man in this region, so I guess next stop is
to try online.
Gawd...

I've worked in furniture for 12 years now with 35 years installing high end kitchens before that. The most comfortable desk chairs I have sat in are Hooker (we've heard them all) I am 5'11" and 250 lbs. I don't sit for long as it's the furniture I lift and move.

I've worked in furniture for 12 years now with 35 years installing high end kitchens before that. The most comfortable desk chairs I have sat in are Hooker (we've heard them all) I am 5'11" and 250 lbs. I don't sit for long as it's the furniture I lift and move.
There's one I haven't run across yet. I'll check them out, thanks!
EDIT: MERCY, they're proud of their stuff!
They have every right to be, though - now THAT'S what I'm talking about!
Quality still lives, apparently. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I envy you...

Back to the topic at hand, I did the walk of shame today to the Staples an hour away, returning the latest chair
we had bought over the weekend.
You know the drill - the worn out one in the store felt fine, but that brand new one out of the box....doesn't.
After that, there won't be any more store-bought ones - there's none to try, seen them all at this point.
Nobody - I mean nobody - sells any big enough for a grown-*** man in this region, so I guess next stop is
to try online.
Gawd...
Have had a neck fusion, laminectomy, CTS surgeries, and C5-6 stenosis surgery on deck soon as I clear myself of nicotine. If I sit too long, it’s a PIA (yeah there too) getting up. Weird but I feel about the best when I’m standing and walking. Yeah, I’ve tried several chairs over the years that sucked; though I’m only 5’9”. One thing that could be a hassle for you given your height, is the depth of the seat pan. Just sayin as part of my work was industrial/ergonomics engineering. One guy that was around 6’ 7” or so had a frame made for his desk and credenza to elevate those a few inches. He found it helpful. The standard height of desks, tables, etc. are not friendly for unusually tall people. Maybe this is all stuff you know already…just tossing it out.

The chair at work is a Steelcase brand "Think" chair. Rated for 400 pounds. Retail is $1,074.
Think

There are several places selling used/refurbished versions for around $300

The chair at work is a Steelcase brand "Think" chair. Rated for 400 pounds. Retail is $1,074.
Think

There are several places selling used/refurbished versions for around $300
Quality built chairs, no doubt - and I'm sure they handle the weight structurally just fine for years.
Problem is - there's no "cush" there. Very little in the way of comfort for my old bones...
Thanks though. :thumbsup:

Have had a neck fusion, laminectomy, CTS surgeries, and C5-6 stenosis surgery on deck soon as I clear myself of nicotine. If I sit too long, it’s a PIA (yeah there too) getting up. Weird but I feel about the best when I’m standing and walking. Yeah, I’ve tried several chairs over the years that sucked; though I’m only 5’9”. One thing that could be a hassle for you given your height, is the depth of the seat pan. Just sayin as part of my work was industrial/ergonomics engineering. One guy that was around 6’ 7” or so had a frame made for his desk and credenza to elevate those a few inches. He found it helpful. The standard height of desks, tables, etc. are not friendly for unusually tall people. Maybe this is all stuff you know already…just tossing it out.
It kills me that my "wheels" aren't capable as they used to be; I was quite athletic and loved to run, up into my 40's.
(Never a jogger though - when I ran, there was always a sport or some such going on).
My job used to require a lot of walking, too - walked a TON doing inspections of million SF factories and such.

Now though?
Hell, it's all I can do to get through a few stores with the wife on a Saturday...
and when I do, it's usually hunched over the shopping cart, using it as a rudimentary rolling "crutch".
That's all what I miss most about all the carnage inflicted upon my carcass - there's just too much messed up,
removed and collapsed in me now - to the point that if I were to try to walk more in a recreational manner,
I'd only make things worse (summon my demise quicker, if that's even possible).
Sucks donkey balls to get old...

I'll throw a little info into the mix...

For years at work I had what is called a Judges Chair. Generally, larger overall and more comfortable that regular office chairs.

I found this at www.officechairsusa.com

Jeff

traditional_high_back_1__37588.jpg

Steelcase or Herman Miller. Neither are cheap but you have found that you get what you pay for. Steelcase has rebuilt/remanufactured chairs as well as replacement parts. I like that. @moparedtn

Judge's Chair posted by GTX.JCW looks similar to the Hooker brand chairs we have. It looks well cushioned and sturdy.

I'll throw a little info into the mix...

For years at work I had what is called a Judges Chair. Generally, larger overall and more comfortable that regular office chairs.

I found this at www.officechairsusa.com

Jeff

View attachment 1348986
Thanks, but that one on that particular site is standard width and isn't sufficient for my weight....
and for that amount of scratch, fake leather ain't makin' it either. :)
There ARE chairs like this out there, real nice ones like the Amish companies make (and Hooker, too!)
but they are serious $$$.

Steelcase or Herman Miller. Neither are cheap but you have found that you get what you pay for. Steelcase has rebuilt/remanufactured chairs as well as replacement parts. I like that. @moparedtn
As I posted previously, I've done the Herman dance before, the whole nine yards....
and took the thing back literally in a couple days once I got it home.
Same dealer had Steelcase and they're well built, no doubt - but I also find them uncomfortable.
A younger person would be right at home in either. I'm not.

Auto Transport Service
Back