• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My laptop had too much to drink

sam dupont

Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
I spilled about a tablespoon of water on my laptop. It was like the scene where The Terminator died. The screen made rainbow lines and blinked out. It came back on and then off, the power light faded away. The battery was not accessible, so I let it dry. It has never come back.

I want to save the hard drive info. Do I have it transfered to my new computer, or have it put on a stand alone HD?

The easiest way to transfer the data is get a cheap USB3 drive adapter and plug it into the new computer. If the drive is OK it will show up like a Flash drive does. is it a mechanical or solid state drive?

When you purchase your new laptop - I would highly recommend an Apple Macbook then add on Applecare - if you buy from Best Buy they also include a techno addition to the Apple care and I believe Apple care is about half what you’d pay directly from Apple. If you’re going to be dribbling your beer over the laptop you’re going to need it - that would be covered.

It was a 2012 Macbook that got a 512 SSD three years ago. Have had zero issues after that. I don't know how, but I splashed just a little bit of water on the corner where the power comes in. I shut it quickly, and shook it, but the dealership said the motherboard in connected right there as they looked for the light on the front to do something. It's been a couple weeks and it's still dead.

I have had it in my car, in the shop researching things I was doing, in the field at auction sales... I had no idea how fragile they are. Guess I do now.

So, that Best Buy cable supplies power to dead hard drive to make it work?

When you said “spilled on my laptop” I thought you meant just on top of the keyboard. I can’t attest to it powering up a laptop due to water @ the “power-in”. Apologize for the misunderstanding.

It was a 2012 Macbook that got a 512 SSD three years ago. Have had zero issues after that. I don't know how, but I splashed just a little bit of water on the corner where the power comes in. I shut it quickly, and shook it, but the dealership said the motherboard in connected right there as they looked for the light on the front to do something. It's been a couple weeks and it's still dead.

I have had it in my car, in the shop researching things I was doing, in the field at auction sales... I had no idea how fragile they are. Guess I do now.

So, that Best Buy cable supplies power to dead hard drive to make it work?
Take it to the nearest Apple Store - but make a genius bar appt first. They’ll help you out. You can also call Apple Tech Support and they’ll either be able to help you on the phone or they will make a Genius Bar appt for you. 800-692-7753. Super helpful people - I‘ve used them many times and I have a 2011 MacBook Pro. Just upgraded to a brand new MacBook Air. Never purchased AppleCare. They will still help you n/c

Last edited:
When you said “spilled on my laptop” I thought you meant just on top of the keyboard. I can’t attest to it powering up a laptop due to water @ the “power-in”. Apologize for the misunderstanding.
Hey, thank you (and everyone who did) for taking the time to read about my woes!

GetX'd: I took it to an old time Mac that dealer a friend worked at. They are so old, one time I went in to see him and they were all gathered around a TV because Jobs was introducing a cube. Being totally ignorant, their glazed, smiling adoration made them look like a bunch of Moonies.

Anyway, the guy at the dealership showed me a box that looked like the HD caddy Photon posted. It was $35, and another $50 to attempt a download. If I can buy my own caddy and such, I'll give it a shot.

I assume I can transfer it to my Mid 2012 Mini.

- but make a genius bar appt first.
That right there is where I'm unable to deal with these people.... I owned a Macbook for years & every time I had to deal with their "Genius Bar" they seemed to know less than dirt.... The pure arrogance to call your tech crew the "Genius Bar" sets the stage for an experience they simply can't back up with skill.... Luckily I have a good friend that can and did help me with my Macbook...

my phone to your laptop......... "hold my beer" .........I'm about to smash this thing :soapbox:

That right there is where I'm unable to deal with these people.... I owned a Macbook for years & every time I had to deal with their "Genius Bar" they seemed to know less than dirt.... The pure arrogance to call your tech crew the "Genius Bar" sets the stage for an experience they simply can't back up with skill.... Luckily I have a good friend that can and did help me with my Macbook...
Sorry to hear - but I‘ve had exactly the opposite experience and my Mac is 11 years old.

Auto Transport Service
Back