• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My lost RR

Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, A new guy on the block.
I’m searching for my love A 68 RR couple silver in color 383/4.
My younger brother sold it while I was in the Navy, many years ago. I’m from southcentral Indiana . I have the original 4 speed for it! Is part of the vin number for the car on it ?
Thanks All, Daniel

My younger brother sold it while I was in the Navy, many years ago. I’m from southcentral Indiana . I have the original 4 speed for it! Is part of the vin number for the car on it ?

Thanks All, Daniel

Back around 2000 I bought a 23 spline box that had the full VIN on it RM21H.

Yours if early production will have the full VIN. If later will have 9 for ‘69 the plant letter, then the last 6 #’s of the VIN on the dash.

Since you know what your car was you will have the full VIN to do a search.

Last edited:
Back around 2000 I bought a 23 spline box that had the full VIN on it RM21H.

Yours if early production will have the full VIN. If later will have 9 for ‘69 the plant letter, then the last 6 #’s of the VIN on the dash.

Since you know what your car was you will have the full VIN to do a search.

Thanks, It was an early production 68. It had silver bench seats with black basket weave inserts. Tack in the dash and am radio. 3:91 ratio
Can someone please tell me from this information, what the vin number should be? Thanks

Thanks, It was an early production 68. It had silver bench seats with black basket weave inserts. Tack in the dash and am radio. 3:91 ratio
Can someone please tell me from this information, what the vin number should be? Thanks
No, nobody can tell you the VIN based on that information.

from your first post it is RM21H8. Then we need your trans numbers.

You need to tell us what the trans has stamped on the case, then we can tell you the vin. Do you remember what the shifter was? Hurst or a dual lever handle to lift to get reverse?

Last edited:

I’m sorry. I thought it said ‘69. Damn eyes!:)

welcome!

Wouldn’t it be the SO on a ‘68 HP engine trans? I have 3 68’s now, but non are HP.

Welcome from Maine. Good luck with your search! You never know.

No, nobody can tell you the VIN based on that information.

from your first post it is RM21H8. Then we need your trans numbers.

You need to tell us what the trans has stamped on the case, then we can tell you the vin. Do you remember what the shifter was? Hurst or a dual lever handle to lift to get reverse?

Hello, It had a dual lever that I had to lift to get reverse. It was a pain to shift . I’m on business for a couple more weeks then I’ll be home to get those numbers.
Thanks everyone

Thanks All, Daniel
Dan,

If you have your original "68 4-speed the partial vin is stamped on the side but you'll' be able to get your full vin.

The side of the trans will have a series of #s stamped
the top row will be
8A123456
8 = model year
(Letter) = plant the car was assembled
A = Lynch Road, E = Los Angeles, G = St. Louis
The next 6 numbers are the last #s of your VIN

The next line of numbers will be as follows (example from my transmission)
PP833 2434 0230
PP833 = New Process Gear Division (Manufacture of the trans)
2434 = 10,000 day calendar (date when trans was built) 2434 = 27 March 1968
0230 = number of this trans built on that date

You only have to add to the front either RM21 or RM23 to have your entire VIN
RM21 = 2dr coupe Road Runner
RM23 = 2dr hardtop Road Runner

Last edited:
Wouldn’t it be the SO on a ‘68 HP engine trans? I have 3 68’s now, but non are HP.
No, most 68 HP's had partial vin stamped at the rear top by the oil pressure switch where the engine & bellhousing meet, every low perf 68 I have seen had no stamping

No, most 68 HP's had partial vin stamped at the rear top by the oil pressure switch where the engine & bellhousing meet, every low perf 68 I have seen had no stamping

I wasn’t sure... my HP’s are 1970.

My ‘68 2 door Satellite that I’m building as a GTX has the SO from the fender tag on the rad support. It’s a St. Louis car. My 2 other 68’s, a wagon and a 4-door are Lynch Rd. and have a blank rad support.

Hi gang, Here’s the numbers off the Transmission, Is this what I need? Thanks

304BFB56-E95E-436B-A733-27532F068B3C.jpeg A358D09F-EE21-4184-8A6E-90D830401AA6.jpeg 3904600B-3A83-481B-945B-8E79BF3CBA5E.jpeg 0E495AB9-2547-4D48-B3D7-E4B328E32BE2.jpeg

Hi gang. From what I’ve deducted. Vin. No. Should be
RM21-8A 890051

PP8832266 0096
10/17/67.
Am I correct?
Now can someone tell me how to search for it?

Welcome, thank you for your service and good luck finding your love!
Hopefully it wasnt the one featured on RoadKill...

images.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back