• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My old hometown goes nuts on Halloween.

SteveSS

Local time
5:26 PM
Reaction score
The little Southeastern Kansas town where I spent most of my time growing up is infatuated with Halloween. The celebration is called Neewollah. That's Halloween spelled backward. It's a 5-day festival with parades, carnivals, music in the streets, Broadway musicals, concerts, and a Queen Nellah coronation out of the high school senior girls. It's nuts but I'll let you read what is planned for this year.

Events: Neewollah

General info: Neewollah

Camden USE to "burn the bitch down" on mischief night, cleared out MANY abandoned buildings that way. Hasn't happened for some time. Still hear plenty of "firecrackers" (gun fire) on mischief night to this day. Gotta love those "GUN FREE ZONES".

Neewollah was featured predominantly in the 1955 movie "Picnic" starring William Holden and Kim Novak.

Hiawatha,KS also does a big Halloween event. Went a few years ago. Parade was a Hoot! My wife BD is on Halloween. Guess we need to go to Neewelloh!
Independence is just west of Big Brutus. Great museum down there. Massive electric mining shovel.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back