• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Satellite is a porker!

Smokinnjokin

Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score
Just put my ‘67 satellite on the scale, and mother of god she is heavy!
3700 lbs with a full tank and no driver, what gives? I am wondering if they mixed up weight tickets or something.

Its a 360/727 car with 8-3/4 rearend. I was expecting around #3400.

Things that should have made the car lighter: alum intake manifold. tube headers. no ac or p/s or power brakes.

Things that added weight: Tubular subframe connectors. Cal-tracs bars. Bigger wheels and tires (15x7 and 15x9). Dynamat interior floors. Additional fluid weight from deeper trans pan.

What gives? Is there 300 lbs of lead shot hidden in my doors, 60’s Nascar style?

B-bodies never were as light as I would have thought. I remember being surprised when I ran my 64 Sport Fury, 383, auto, PS/PB over a set of truck scales when I was in college. I don‘t recall the exact weight all these years later but I think it was between 3600 and 3700 lbs. A B-body Hemi is pushing at least 4,000 lbs and more.

Just put my ‘67 satellite on the scale, and mother of god she is heavy!
3700 lbs with a full tank and no driver, what gives? I am wondering if they mixed up weight tickets or something.

Its a 360/727 car with 8-3/4 rearend. I was expecting around #3400.

Things that should have made the car lighter: alum intake manifold. tube headers. no ac or p/s or power brakes.

Things that added weight: Tubular subframe connectors. Cal-tracs bars. Bigger wheels and tires (15x7 and 15x9). Dynamat interior floors. Additional fluid weight from deeper trans pan.

What gives? Is there 300 lbs of lead shot hidden in my doors, 60’s Nascar style?
A load of moonshine in the trunk?

I was curious and looked up the weight of my 66 Dart. 2735#

That looks right to me. I had 67 GTX, 440, auto, PS and it was 3700 as well. So you have a lighter engine but you've added a bit of weight as well.

My first 66 Belvedere (4-dr) with AC, PS was 3750 with a pair of slicks mounted on steel wheels. My present 66 2rd sedan with a /6, 904, 7 1/4 rear and factory AC was 3370 when I got it with about 100 lbs of undercoating and many many coats of paint! How much does that Dynamat weigh?

Since I'm assuming full exhaust (70#), wiper stuff (10#), heater box and core, Dyna Mat .7#/sq/ft (20-25#), subframe 1/8" 2x3 (25#), Spare and jack?, brass radiator? heavy wheels? Radial street tires? bench seat (80#)? It all adds up. You just need to get creative. My 64 racecar weighs 3125# with 5 gallons of fuel. 3325# with driver. Heavy stuff? Mega block 275#, Dana, 2x3 1/8" square subframes, full cage, 2 carbs, heavy intake, fire system, trans sheild, dual fans. Car is all steel including bumpers except the hood. Obviously lighter race tires, no heater, wipers, exhaust, hood hinges. Zero undercoating even inside the entire rear 1/4 pannels. Aluminum stuff; rad, driveshaft, fuel tank, brake hubs and calipers, and seat brackets. Light stuff moly tube stuff; cage, steering shaft, strut rods, core support brace. No regulators, doors gutted (windows function with straps), lexan windows, K frame trimmed a lot. Exoctic stuff. Carbon fiber bumper brackets, Carbon hood and scoop, magnesium seat frames. I've seen Dart's, Nova's, early Camaro's that were 3500+.
Doug

I don’t race or anything so not trying to shed weight, I daily drive this thing to work and it frequently sees freeway speeds. This does explain why i rarely get better than 11mpg with 3 speeds and a 3.23” rear driving 28” tires

Had access to a elevator scale for free, so I weighed a lot of vehicles. Title weights and factory figures are usually accurate, but not always.

You'd be surprised alone just how much a full tank of gas and Dynamat weighs in at. Those wheels are porkers too. All the little things add up.

As far as 11mpg, it's much more attributable to driving and tune than it is weight. With 3.23's and 28 inch tires you should be able to get much more mpg from a streetable 360 at peak tune.

Smaller than a 68 body style though
Not so sure about that. My '64 Dodge 440 is 3" longer than my '69 Bee and the '64 is also taller. I think the '66 Sat is bigger than my Bee as well, it sure seems wider as well.... Let me grab my tape measure.. lol

66/67 2D HT cars are light, but you listed several hundred pounds of added weight plus Satellites are one of the heavier of those to begin with because of all the added trim and interior parts- console, bucket seats, pseudo rear bucket tops, etc.

When I had my Bel II 4D parts car on wheel dollies I could pretty much twirl it around like we were dancing.

I have you beat. My 65 500, w/440, a/t, a/c, buckets, 1/2 tank fuel, nothing in trunk, no driver was 3941. I thought it would be around 3600 max. When I was getting ready to order the suspension components from FF, Dick said the car is heavier than I think. Got it scaled at a Goodguys show by Ridetech. Was I surprised. But having all the specs was needed anyway so I could get the right t-bar and spring rates for the car.

Wow, my 73 with buckets and buddy seat, aftermarket stereo and bookshelf speakers, and AC weighed 3700 with over half a tank of gas but no me.

My 70 Charger was 3660 with a 318-904-8 1/4” axle, 4 wheel 10” drums, bucket seats and console. 100% stock.

I weighed my '67 Coronet 3-seat wagon on the drag strip scales once. With 440, 4-speed, 8 3/4, heavy cop wheels, it went 4250 without me in it.

83794155_1517167828449267_1576042329486131200_o.jpg

67’s are heavier then a 68-70. Your weight sounds right. 6lbs per gallon X 18 is 108 lbs of fuel. All those other add ons are heavy.

I just weighed a 67 R/T 440 4 speed Dana car. All original And complete. 11” drums, 14” steel wheels with mag covers, iron intake and exhaust manifolds, full exhaust, stock brass radiator, standard heater. And nothing added to the car like dynamat, stereo, electric fans, etc.

Had my tool box and some extras, lunch, a few glass water bottles, estimate about 100 lbs, and 1/4 tank of gas, total:

scale right at 4000lbs without driver. 20lb increment scale.

Auto Transport Service
Back