• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My turn to help you guys out

pearljam724

Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
I know, I’ve asked a million questions on here in the past few months and I’m not shy about asking more, lol ! But as a thank you. I would like to help any of you looking for a stereo for your B body. Giving a very honest and brief feedback on the B body Retrosound stereo.
I would like to first add that I am a huge rock music guy. And simply can’t go without some good tunes to listen to while driving my convertible. As much as I want to leave everything original in my car. Am radio just doesn’t cut it. I was definitely not going to hack up my dash, not a fan of putting a modern stereo in glove box or underdash. With those things taken seriously into account and costs. I decided to go the Retrosound route.
Upon receiving my stereo. I wasn’t tickled pink with it’s build quality for the money. It’s 75 percent plastic with very cheap gauge wiring. But, was very impressed with all of the options of add on’s in what I’d like to listen to my music from.
With that being said. I spent 3 days messing around with it to get it to power up. It never did. “ What a Chineese piece of crap”, I thought being so disappointed. So, I sent it back for a refund. With not many options remaining. I opted to buy another one. This one powered up no problems. The first one was just a lemmon.
A couple months later. I finally found the time to install it in my car. Because my garage was completed a few weeks ago.
I bought a couple little 3 inch speakers from Wallyworld for $20 and replaced my dash speaker that was beyond useable with those. With intentions of adding 2 enclosed 6x9’s on the floor behind the front seats. But, I may not need those 6x9’s after all. This stereo screams with those 2 little dash speakers alone. Im extremely impressed with the volume. Have to be as I have a mild cam and my car is fairly loud. Extremely impressed with all of the toys and options of adding anything imaginable to the stereo that you would like to listen to. 2 USB charging ports, 2- auxiliaries , Bluetooth capability, Bluetooth microphone and much more.
And impressive enough, once installed. It does look nearly identical as if your original am factory stereo was still in the car. Im very pleased. Looking back now, the only down fall is the cheap gauge exterior wiring. But, hey. I keep my original look, sounds better than any factory stereo I’ve ever heard, by far. And far more options than any factory stereo built today. An honest evolution from me is an A minus. Don’t hesitate if you’ve contemplated getting one and you have similiar intentions in what you’re wanting.

I installed a Restrosound a while back. I liked it, but it did have a few problems. It seemed that they were converting a high level sub-out to a low level RCA, and it was creating an impedance problem with my multi-channel amplifier. So I sent an email to a guy who worked there and the owner got the email. He called me up and called me a "******* idiot who doesn't know ****". He berated me nonstop for a few minutes, I sat at my desk, completely speechless. He told me I was too stupid to know what I was talking about and told me that I better not ever waste his employees time, ever again, and finished off with "are we clear?".

I should note that while I don't claim to be an expert, I have installed automotive audio for decades, as well as accessories and rewired vehicles.

A couple weeks later, one of those employees called a co worker and told him that he was sorry about the owner's attitude, and that they always cringe when he gets on the phone. He also said that my co-worker should tell me that I was actually right, and they were correcting the problem with the subwoofer output.

Sorry to trash your review, but people should know what kind of an asshole the owner of Retrosound is. My job as an editor was to assess the installation, acknowledge any problems, and write about the installation and the product. Every other manufacturer I have ever worked with or written about has always been grateful for my feedback. This jerk, well, he's clearly not a people person, and I wouldn't ever install any of his products, let alone pay my hard-earned money for them.

You didn’t trash my review. Everyone should add to it. I understand, people are ******** today. Most people today, honestly don’t appreciate your business despite how they might act. Unless, a customer is being irrate. A customer deserves nearly any attention they are asking. And if anyone honestly was treated in that manner. The other party should be exposed. But, that may have been the owner of one distributor. These stereos are made in China if I’m not mistaken and sold by a few to several distributors. Regardless, on the internet. People can hide in one aspect. But, in another aspect. They can be very easily exposed and ruined if they are not wise.

I have a Hermosa in our car. A little trimming and it fits and sounds fine. Really like the USB where I can take my own tunes.

For $695, a blonde Playboy model better deliver and install it. And offer a complimentary bikini wash, lol !

I installed a Restrosound a while back. I liked it, but it did have a few problems. It seemed that they were converting a high level sub-out to a low level RCA, and it was creating an impedance problem with my multi-channel amplifier. So I sent an email to a guy who worked there and the owner got the email. He called me up and called me a "******* idiot who doesn't know ****". He berated me nonstop for a few minutes, I sat at my desk, completely speechless. He told me I was too stupid to know what I was talking about and told me that I better not ever waste his employees time, ever again, and finished off with "are we clear?".

I should note that while I don't claim to be an expert, I have installed automotive audio for decades, as well as accessories and rewired vehicles.

A couple weeks later, one of those employees called a co worker and told him that he was sorry about the owner's attitude, and that they always cringe when he gets on the phone. He also said that my co-worker should tell me that I was actually right, and they were correcting the problem with the subwoofer output.

Sorry to trash your review, but people should know what kind of an asshole the owner of Retrosound is. My job as an editor was to assess the installation, acknowledge any problems, and write about the installation and the product. Every other manufacturer I have ever worked with or written about has always been grateful for my feedback. This jerk, well, he's clearly not a people person, and I wouldn't ever install any of his products, let alone pay my hard-earned money for them.

Thanks for the info. I am happy to avoid this individual. I see some other options for my '66 Coronet, and I'll explore them.

Auto Transport Service
Back