• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Box - I'm in over my head!

70LemonTwst

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
Hi All - I'm attempting to replace my dash harness on the '70 Satellite convertible. I've got the new reproduction harness and I've been going through the connections to see how much matches up. I have the service manual, the wiring the diagram and my label maker...things were going pretty well I thought. I have a metal box with (6) wires coming out that was mounted on top of the glovebox
Blue & green wires go to the firewall connector.
Light green wire goes to the ACC panel on the fuse block.

Obviously this is some abomination that was created to work around something...

Anybody have a clue what this box is?
Expect I'll need to figure out the blue & green wires connecting thru the firewall to the engine bay are for...I'm sure that's in my diagram. The new harness does not accommodate this connection and it appears to be some shade-tree style work around.

Appreciate any help you guys can throw my way.

20210608_185528[1].jpg

Looks like a speaker cross over. Do you have a rear or duel front speakers?

R22 AM 8 track with 3 speakers on top of the dash. Does your car have this? It doesn’t come with the new wiring,

R22 AM 8 track with 3 speakers on top of the dash. Does your car have this? It doesn’t come with the new wiring,
No radio in this car when I got it..
There was a crap ton of speaker wire & harness wired direct to the battery with inline fuse for aftermarket Amp.

When I look at the wiring diagram it looks like maybe the blue & green wires go to the starter relay.

Looks like a speaker cross over. Do you have a rear or duel front speakers?
Let me go look again. You guys are both down the radio path. Hope it's that easy.

if you have your fender tag, check and see if you have the R22 option on your car. 10 Watt Radio AM w/ Stereo 8 Track

Definitely is what it is. Thanks guys! As there is no longer 8 track or speakers expect this can be eliminated?

Why would it goto the firewall connector...seems odd.

Screenshot_20210608-194223_Chrome.jpg

Tag is not in great shape. No R22 that I can see

is that R11 up in the top left, R11 2 Watt AM Radio (Music Master)

Take a better look. The box that was in the car has a eight wire connector. The crossover you pictured has a six wire connector.

Take a better look. The box that was in the car has a eight wire connector. The crossover you pictured has a six wire connector.

the one in his picture is a 6 wire connection

You guys are both right...6 wires coming out of the box going to the connector with 8 wires into the harness. I'm going to pretend like it doesn't matter & see what doesn't work on the other side of installation. Appreciate all the insight.

You guys are both right...6 wires coming out of the box going to the connector with 8 wires into the harness. I'm going to pretend like it doesn't matter & see what doesn't work on the other side of installation. Appreciate all the insight.
The main harness is all on its own. It does not care what radio. It just has the red and orange wires in the radio plug for a base radio. Any other radio options had its own special harness that linked the radio, speakers, fader switch, and amplifier.

Just thinking about the extra wires going into the bulkhead and I came up with this idea. The guy could of had speakers that he plugged into it for music outside the car. Let the good times roll.

Just thinking about the extra wires going into the bulkhead and I came up with this idea. The guy could of had speakers that he plugged into it for music outside the car. Let the good times roll.
HA! i'm not going to put it past him, he basically had all the stereo hooked directly to the battery, as well as the horn. If I get this thing back to factory I'm going to be a very happy boy.

Auto Transport Service
Back