• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery leak....

FLARunner

Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
I hope someone can shed some light on this. I keep my RR in storage. For the past few months, I've noticed a puddle on the floor. It's a clear, viscous fluid. I have no idea what this can be. Over the months, the puddle has gotten smaller. So whatever it is, has pretty much all leaked out. The puddle is near the rear driver's side wheel. Not tranny fluid, not oil, not gas, and I've never seen "clear" brake fluid. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

20230621_131327.jpg

20230621_131320.jpg

20230621_131308.jpg

Does it have a smell? How’s it taste? :lol:

Could it be ground water coming up through the concrete? Seen wet spots in basements if the concrete is too thin or poorly poured.

Well if you crawl under the car you should see where it is dripping from. Three choices I can think of that would be leaking by a right rear wheel. 1-Brake fluid. 2-Rear axle lube. 3-Something is leaking inside your trunk and finding its way out.

Last edited:
My first test would have been what does it taste like :)

PS fluid?

I'd put a pan of some sort over the wet spot on the floor. That'll tell you if it's coming "up from the floor" or "dripping from the car". If the fluid seems to be evaporating then it's not a fluid that goes in the engine, drivetrain, or brake system. Unless you have straight water in the cooling system as I see you're in Florida? If so, it could be water coming out of a soft plug, head gasket, etc...

I would think brake or power steering fluid. They’re not exactly crystal clear but after being on concrete….who knows.
either way , you would find out soon enough.

Easy test. Brake fluid will mix with water.
Doug

Off topic, but i finally fixed my right side valve cover leak. That drove me crazier than a shithouse rat.

Off topic, but i finally fixed my right side valve cover leak. That drove me crazier than a shithouse rat.
Valve cover leaks are terrible. Just changed mine. Now a smaller amount still appearing.

Auto Transport Service
Back