• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name the sound!?!?

Freshly rebuilt 440 standard bore cylinders honed was a low mileage 78 new yorker. New cam, new SP pistons, bearings etc. 452 heads milled .003, stamped steel rockers.

Good oil pressure?
Coming more from one side than the other?
Pulled valve cover on suspect side and inspected to see all parts are getting oil, etc.?
Logical approach to narrowing down what it could be....

A lot of guys are into this and you know they love this riddles, the second video has a more clear sound, of what you are trying to identify, but to me definitely lifters, did you the rebuild, at idle you can hear is a new cam, but again I check the oil pressure.

Oil pressure 40-50 psi cold until warm then drops to 25 ish but will snap right back up to 45 or so with some rpms.

images (16).jpeg

I put on new Dougs headers, I was thinking exhaust leak. I have soot on underside of hood above #2 and # 7 (general area). I’ve used percys aluminum style gaskets.

Just my question, what kind of oil he use during break in ?
Zinc matters and a lot.

Builder said he used a high zinc oil I added some lucas break-in oil for flat tappet camshafts also.

Flywheel inspection cover loose?

I forgot to add. With the engine running, I pulled the plug wire from each individual cylinder one at a time and the sound remained. No change in the tick whatsoever.

Dont sound all that horrible to me. Check the torque converter bolts while you are at it tho.

Auto Transport Service
Back