• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NAPA is starting to suck

Yep independent is hard sometimes. I was able to get Detroit to put 50,000 in parts on in my parts room on consignment. Once a month they would come in take I inventory you paid for w has at you used or lost. Webb brakes and meritor will work with you and Bendix might do some heavy duty brake stuff on consignment. I wish I could find a good independent here so tired of the run around etc. With a independent guy who cares about his service and parts. Return customer service is best. Most of these parts houses don't even care if they sale you the wrong part. As long as the just sale something they're good with that.

If it’s late in the day, they may sell you the wrong part on purpose if you can’t get back to the store before they close. Meanwhile they order the right part to replace that wrong part when you come back the next day. That was a “trick” one of my competitors pulled on people.

I like the buy one get the other half price. The problem is they are always out of the product. Or the great oil sell Napa brand on selves and the other brand on sale all gone. At 7.00 am the day of the sale and I was the first one in the door. Talk to the manager asked him what's up with the sale be and he said that it hadn't shown up from the warehouse yet. But will give me the Napa stuff instead. I didn't want the Napa stuff.

Never had any problem with sale items or even any warehouse items. Some of you must have pissed the counter person off.

You might not like them, but never piss off the counter person or store owner if you want to get things handled to your satisfaction, if that's possible.

When I worked at the Chevy dealership, we sponsored the local Corvette club. We worked many hours with their members researching parts for their projects and yet, some of them were too good to talk to us out in public at car shows or other places. Sometimes they wouldn't even speak to us at car shows held on the dealership property. Talk about big mistake.....

There were a couple of them in particular that waited for parts, sometimes weeks or months, for something that we 'had a hard time getting' or was on 'factory back-order' that was sitting in the special order bin with their name on it. Just waiting for the right time to give it to them after they'd pulled off one of their 'Kiss my ***, I have a Corvette and you don't' attitudes - which was funny as those with real wealth treated a Corvette like any other Chevy instead of worshipping it.

I heard stories from the NAPA jobber service people about the crap some of the people at other stores would try to pull - like stealing parts out of a packed up return and then griping when they didn't get credit for it - we'll be in to get it at *** and demand that it be ready - and then never showing up for it or calling to cancel the order and all sorts of other BS. Found this out after I showed up one day that I was supposed to buy pizza for everyone. They were all amazed that I was actually there as they had been promised lunch by many store owners who never followed thru with their promises. They would bend over backwards for me and I hadn't really done anything except followed thru with what I had promised to do.

Always take care of your suppliers as there will come a time you will need them to pull some strings or put forth that extra effort to help you out - if you've pissed them off, they'll say sure we'll help you out and smile, all the while knowing that you're going to pay for those comments you made the last time you were in. Honestly, there are those scumbags out there that will do that to you even if you're a good customer, but generally their reputation is known and you know that it's a gamble to ask them, but you're in a bind and hope for some good help. There are times they need to be called on the carpet, but it can be done tactfully with little harm done. Most will realize later on that you were right and they were being a jerk - maybe not with today's entitled snowflakes, but generally it'll work itself out and they will help you out with no problem. If they can't do that, then there's always their competition down the street to start buying from or online - except Rock Auto - I will never buy anything from them.....

One time when I ran the parts department for the Ford dealership I called in to the Chevy dealer that I used to work for to get a part and have it ready - I worked out of town and it was going to be a push to get there before they closed - I arrived about 5 minutes before they closed to find a counter guy I hadn't dealt with standing there leaning on the counter and no one else around. Told him what I was looking for - he said, oh yeah, we don't have that.
I knew they did as it was a popular GM part. I said really - then went around the counter and proceeded to go back and get it myself. He says 'where do you think you're going - not knowing that I had worked there. I retrieved the part off the shelf, came back up and tossed it on the counter and asked him if he wanted me to make the ticket out for it as well..... Needless to say I called his boss the next day and had a discussion about his actions. I had driven about 30 miles to get that part and wasn't going to be blown off by the lazy bastard. He didn't want to quit smoking that important cigarette to wait on a customer, that cost him his job.

You might not like them, but never piss off the counter person or store owner if you want to get things handled to your satisfaction, if that's possible.

When I worked at the Chevy dealership, we sponsored the local Corvette club. We worked many hours with their members researching parts for their projects and yet, some of them were too good to talk to us out in public at car shows or other places. Sometimes they wouldn't even speak to us at car shows held on the dealership property. Talk about big mistake.....

There were a couple of them in particular that waited for parts, sometimes weeks or months, for something that we 'had a hard time getting' or was on 'factory back-order' that was sitting in the special order bin with their name on it. Just waiting for the right time to give it to them after they'd pulled off one of their 'Kiss my ***, I have a Corvette and you don't' attitudes - which was funny as those with real wealth treated a Corvette like any other Chevy instead of worshipping it.

I heard stories from the NAPA jobber service people about the crap some of the people at other stores would try to pull - like stealing parts out of a packed up return and then griping when they didn't get credit for it - we'll be in to get it at *** and demand that it be ready - and then never showing up for it or calling to cancel the order and all sorts of other BS. Found this out after I showed up one day that I was supposed to buy pizza for everyone. They were all amazed that I was actually there as they had been promised lunch by many store owners who never followed thru with their promises. They would bend over backwards for me and I hadn't really done anything except followed thru with what I had promised to do.

Always take care of your suppliers as there will come a time you will need them to pull some strings or put forth that extra effort to help you out - if you've pissed them off, they'll say sure we'll help you out and smile, all the while knowing that you're going to pay for those comments you made the last time you were in. Honestly, there are those scumbags out there that will do that to you even if you're a good customer, but generally their reputation is known and you know that it's a gamble to ask them, but you're in a bind and hope for some good help. There are times they need to be called on the carpet, but it can be done tactfully with little harm done. Most will realize later on that you were right and they were being a jerk - maybe not with today's entitled snowflakes, but generally it'll work itself out and they will help you out with no problem. If they can't do that, then there's always their competition down the street to start buying from or online - except Rock Auto - I will never buy anything from them.....

One time when I ran the parts department for the Ford dealership I called in to the Chevy dealer that I used to work for to get a part and have it ready - I worked out of town and it was going to be a push to get there before they closed - I arrived about 5 minutes before they closed to find a counter guy I hadn't dealt with standing there leaning on the counter and no one else around. Told him what I was looking for - he said, oh yeah, we don't have that.
I knew they did as it was a popular GM part. I said really - then went around the counter and proceeded to go back and get it myself. He says 'where do you think you're going - not knowing that I had worked there. I retrieved the part off the shelf, came back up and tossed it on the counter and asked him if he wanted me to make the ticket out for it as well..... Needless to say I called his boss the next day and had a discussion about his actions. I had driven about 30 miles to get that part and wasn't going to be blown off by the lazy bastard. He didn't want to quit smoking that important cigarette to wait on a customer, that cost him his job.
You and I have similar experiences with customers that you get sometimes when you work at stores or dealerships.

Rule no. 1 never get pissed or prissy with a customer the first time. Even though they may come off as the biggest dumbass in the world. I try to treat sales personnel the same way the first time. After that there are ways of educating them without getting stupid about it yourself. Never forget life is a two way street.

Auto Transport Service
Back