• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a engine tech for advice guys. Help!!

christineman

Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
Just got my 413 with allum heads. Something funny here. When i bring up a valve to set the one next to it, the one thats up slowley hoes down. Same with all the rest. The lifters will not stay full, theygp dow like there leaking naturally i cant set one cause the pushrod just keeps going down. 60# pressure idleing. Runs ruff tho. Where could my pressure be leaking to make the lifters not hold? Lot of oil coming out the top of the rollers when idleing.

Help guys!!!

Its leaking out of the cheap *** lifters.

I like the Lunati Micro-Trol lifters.
It sounds like yours are bleeding down pretty quick. It's not a real big deal, but they could collapse at rpm and give you trouble.

I like the Lunati Micro-Trol lifters.
It sounds like yours are bleeding down pretty quick. It's not a real big deal, but they could collapse at rpm and give you trouble.

Not sure what brand they were bu probanly about 50-60$$
Is there anything else that it could be?

are they performance lifters? i see comp cams has a set for around 80 bucks. the valve train is the most critical part of the motor, dont scimp in that area.

No. There not any performance lifters but ive done a awful lot of big blocks, some 150 of them and have never had this happen. Maybe a lifter or so but all 16??? Something dont seem right here. But what elce could let them bleed down?

Can anyone tell me the difference between a solid and hyd cam? Is there any difference?

No, push rod length isnt the problem, i put a new
New set of lifters in today, same problem, they wont pump up and hold. They wont even pump up all the way ive got 50# pressure too. Think ill just put in solids. So damm tired of it. Thought for sure somebody on the list would have the right answer for me. Sure. Seems to be a lot of oil comin out of the rollers but maybe there supposed to b that way.
Anyone know if i can put solids on a hyd cam and what the settings would be??

What do you mean by rollers? The cam lobes? Or the lifters? My guess is that someone has honed the lifter bores too big, allowing oil to leak between the lifters and lifter bores. That may cause them to leak down, but I believe the lifter check valve actually controls the leak down rate. . . . . . . I saw an engine build where they were having power loss on the dyno at high RPM with Hyd lifters. They put a set of solids on, and set the lash at .001" , hot. That solved the problem. But if you get them too tight then you can burn a valve in a hurry. Too loose will wipe out the cam lobe.

- - - Updated - - -

A solid lifter cam has clearance ramps built in to the cam profile to gradually take up the clearance. Then it quickly opens the valve. A hyd cam has no clearance ramp on the cam, because it is always at zero lash, hopefully.

What i mean by tollers is the rocker rollers. Oul really comes out of them. Too much i think. Should the oil holes on the rocker shafts be pointed up or down?? Tried it both ways but the oul still flows out of the rollers on the rockers. Is that right to do that???? When i pull the coil wire and turn it over i get maybe 10# pressure. I can see why with all that oul comein out the rollers. Is that right?

Check lifter to bore clearance, as previously mentioned. Some blocks left the factory with oversized lifters.

I am hearing different things here.

1. Rocker shaft oil tubes only go one way. Do you have the shafts on wrong? I'm a Hemi guy and different than Wedge. Also do you have lifters that have center of lifter exposed above Lifter Bore. The relief area? Is their a restrictor in the block for oil trasveling to the Rocker shafts?

Auto Transport Service
Back