• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help Identifying my 73 RR

ssok

Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
From the Fender tag decoder:

Code Description
E68 400-4 Barrel High Performance
D34 TorqueFlite Automatic Transmission
RM21 R = Plymouth Road Runner
M = Medium
21 = 2 Door Coupe
P3G P = 400 260HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
3 = 1973
G = St. Louis, MO, USA
172xxx Sequence Number '172xxx'
TB3 Paint Code: Unknown At This Time
D6XW Trim Grade/Style/Color
D = Deluxe
6 = Vinyl Bucket Seats
X = Black
BW1 Upper Door Frame: Unknown At This Time
127 Date Built: 1 / 27 / 1973
098600 Order Number: 098600
TB3 Roof Type OR Color: Unknown At This Time
U Built to Specifications for USA Order
A88 Interior Decour Group
B41 Front Disc Brakes Some Yrs. Power
C16 Console w/ Buckets
C56 Bucket Seats 1972 up
G11 Tinted Glass All
G37 Left Hand Remote, Right Hand Manual Chrome Mirrors
H51 Single Air /w Heater
J25 3 Speed Variable Wipers
J45 Hood Tie Down Pins
L31 Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal
M21 Roof Drip Rail Moldings
M26 Wheel Lip Molding
M52 Manual Sunroof w/ Yinyl Top
N41 Duel Exhaust w/o Tips
N42 Chrome Duel Exhaust Tips
N85 Tachometer
R11 Music Master Radio AM
V8W Transverse Stripe - White
V9W White Bumblebee Stripe
28 Unknown At This Time
END End of Codes

Currently, the original sunroof is Bondo'ed in(I hate the previous owner), with the headliner completely replaced. I have none of the mechanisims for it. The car is repainted Petty Blue.

My question is, was this a Canopy Top? The car currently has no vinyl, the previous owner had all of the paint/bodywork done. Obviously the decoder is a bit inaccurate since RR's never had a "bumblebee stripe", but you can get the gist of it.

I only have about 1/3 of the build sheet, btw. Most of it was destroyed underneath the backseat.

roadrunner.jpg

The day we bought it. Looks pretty, but riddled with problems when we got it. Thats okay though, thats the fun part. (unless you are saying to yourself, WTH did this person do to this car)

And for kicks and giggles, my daily driver...
sexi.jpg

ssok, nice runner.

What part of NJ are you in - we may be neighbors

Ralph

I live in the Rockaway area. Morris County. You?

Im sure if we lived in the same area, I would have seen your car lol. This past summer I have seen a 69, a 70, and a 71 RR. I have only seen one other 73 RR, and it was a niiiiicely done restomod in B5. Which my car should be in, but I dont care.

Hello neighbor, Jefferson Township here myself.

I know how to break some more of these down -

TB3 is Basin Street Blue (Dodge called it Super Blue). The DuPont codes are:
Lucite: 5351L
Centari: 5351A
Dulux: 5351D

D6XW - All white interior, bucket seats - black carpet

D34 - Light Duty Automatic Transmission

A88- Interior Decor Package- Carpets/Rear Armrest/Ashtray, Insturment Panel Woodgrain, Door Trim Panel Woodgrain, Deluxe Steering Wheel, A pillar
Garnished Mouldings

Your stripes are right for your year - "Bumble Bee" comes from the fat center/skinny outer - http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/p-d/ct408.htm

I am in Manalapan NJ near englishtown raceway park.

If you come by the spring show drop me a line and we can meet up.

thanks Ralph

My main concerns are:

BW1 Upper Door Frame: Unknown At This Time

TB3 Roof Type OR Color: Unknown At This Time
M52 Manual Sunroof w/ Yinyl Top ( I hate the Canopy roofs)
28 Unknown At This Time

Andy, I live in Wharton, so Im very close to you. Do you go to any of the cruise nights? I go to the Chatterbox, Cops N Rodders, Succasunna Mickey D's, Denville Wendys Wednesdays and a few others.

Last show/cruise I went to was last year in Stone Mountain, GA for a big Silver Mustang get together. My "cruise" car has been in quite a few parts as of late, and ever since the local car club the "Jefferson Cruisers", which I was part of, disbanded 2 years ago I haven't really gone to many shows or cruises. Kind of miss it - it's nice to meet other true car buffs and not the local "rev-rev ricer" crew (annoying little _____)

Reason I'm around here as of late is this: http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=12650

Living so close you may have seen this car - heck I may have zipped by you once.

Stang00001.jpg
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I havent seen your car before, but my friend is in the Silver Mustang Club and lives in Jefferson. You know anyone with a roundbody 4.6 and a yeti beard in SMC? I dont know his SMC username.

My main concerns are:

BW1 Upper Door Frame: Unknown At This Time Should be EW1 -for white to go with D6XW interior

TB3 Roof Type OR Color: Unknown At This Time STL coded both the roof and body paint color. If it's the same color, the the car was painted only one color - TB3
M52 Manual Sunroof w/ Yinyl Top ( I hate the Canopy roofs)Sunroof was available with or without vinyl top. Data book lists only the halo roof for the Satellite
28 Unknown At This Time 28" radiator

The car did not have a white interior from the factory. The seats were bleached white(or so we were told) and have small traces of blue. The dash has a crappy cover on it, but underneath is green. The carpet is black. What is the factory color then? Black?

Also, whats a halo roof? The Half Vinyl?

Other than a build sheet, Galen Grovier, or obvious inspection is there any way to find out what roof I had?

From what I can tell the "Halo" roof is kind like a Full but not - there's plain sheet metal around the actual vinyl that gives it a halo effect. each manufacturer had their own halo style - some extend to the windshield edge where other don't. But it seems the A pillar is always uncovered along with most of the drip rain in the roof:

My crappy MS paint skills

Vinyl_Roof_Types.png

The PO that you bought it from - how far down the list was he/she on the number of owners? maybe work your way back through the owners - found out my '71 charger was sold from a now defunct Chevy dealer in Mass. from a sticker in the glove box

Looking into some info your car HAD to have a vinyl roof if you wanted the sunroof option. Nobody seems to break it down further than that. Your roof stuff is further down the sheet mixed in on line 9 and 10 i believe.

With your stripe options you car probably had the canopy style - maybe.

Found an instance of the "halo" roof on this '73 Runner:
image.php

Other than a build sheet, Galen Grovier, or obvious inspection is there any way to find out what roof I had?

STL coded the vinyl top on the tag. Your car shows the TB3 paint code twice so your car does not code for a vinyl top. The vinyl top code would come right before the "U" code on the second line from the bottom.

Hmmm, I also thought you HAD to have vinyl top for a sunroof, but ain't M51 the sunroof code?

I have seen a couple of A bodies with no vinyl and s/r, but thought they were bogus.

I have also seen ONE non-sports roof A body with a s/r and no trace of a vinyl top on what appeared to be an unmolested car. I think it was a Dart Swinger with some other odd options. Additionally seen a Volare Roadrunner with a s/r and no VT. That car also looked to be unmolested.

Auto Transport Service
Back