• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need pins to mate with gauge connector

Hilljack68

Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
I'm converting my gauges to Dakota Digital, and would like to not cut into the factory harness. So I need pins to make a pigtail harness that mates with the OEM connector. With the death of Radio Shack, where on Earth do I find D-Sub pins to fit this?? The pic is from an article in MCM that did the same thing. I contacted the people who did it, but they said they just "had some pins lying around".

1673099211389.png

Try Allied or Digi-Key.
But you need to know what you're looking for.
There are millions of these things in the world.

Try Allied or Digi-Key.
But you need to know what you're looking for.
There are millions of these things in the world.
Yeah, I tried Mouser, Digikey and TE, but no dice. Shannon at Redline Gauge says they used pins with a diameter of .091, so that's been my search... plus or minus a few thousandths. I need to actually get my hands on them to see if they fit the connector.

It might be easier to just get another harness and modify it.

i actually dunno how it calls those terminals. On 71/73 period it seems those were used, then on 74 changed to Molex 0.093 standard terminals. This made to change also the insulator itself on 74 to accept the molex terminals. Pins on PCB remain the same thought.

I made once that job you want to make BUT fortunatelly was on a 74 Dart which uses the molex terminals. So I used a 16 (I think ) ways molex plugs setup, removed terminals from the original round plug and inserted on the squared plug, then used the male end with its terminals to make the pigtail and reach all the gauges and lights on a custom cluster. If owner wanted to get back to the original cluster just had to reinsert the original terminals (never cut) into the original round plug. i have pics of that job somewhere.

these were the plugs I used… can’t recall if 12 or 16 ways, but you get the idea

51wrSJc1r+L._SL1196_.jpg

you could still use the standard molex terminals thought and insert those individually into the existant plug, but then will need to make the isolation. As mentioned, even the female terminals changed between 73 and 74, the pins on PCB remain the same.

Last edited:
Confirmed, I used a 16 ways. Sure the custom cluster needed more wires for the LEDs pilot lights panel, hence why I had to use more than the stock 12 ways plug.

7CEBE42D-D032-4451-B924-8F1F78BCC43B.jpeg

7EA70F0C-2084-4E57-BBE1-88843288E41F.jpeg

Last edited:
I cut up a junk circuit board, cleaned the pins, soldered new wires to the pins, added connectors and applied electrical taped around the exposed circuits.
One note though, the pins whilst attached to the circuit board are not the strongest.. I used a Gorilla glue at the joint.

IMG_1703.JPG IMG_1707.JPG IMG_1709.JPG
IMG_1713.JPG

The PCB pins are too weak into the PCB. Althought initially is not a bad idea, IMHO I would preffer to use the individual Molex terminals which can be crimped (and solded) to the wire, isolated with shrinking tube and get them inserted into the female plug. An epoxy plug can be somehow made.

I cut up a junk circuit board, cleaned the pins, soldered new wires to the pins, added connectors and applied electrical taped around the exposed circuits.
I flirted with the same idea, Jammer. But just moments ago, I found a company out on Long Island called Mill-Max. I measured the diameters of all the PCB pins, averaged them (.093"), and searched their downloadable male pin catalog. I found a couple good options, but I think I'm going with one of these:

1673186309899.png

Ok, I got the 5231 pins from Mill-Max today, and they're perfect. So FYI if anyone wants to make a pigtail for the DD gauge setup.
20230114_154725.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back