• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need pro for ignition timing

Tony 69

Local time
11:11 PM
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I need some instruction on setting ignition curve. Specifically, how do I know what my engine needs? What rpm to be all in? And then vacuum advance. A step by step in order of how to do this would be greatly appreciated. It’s a 440 with electronic ignition, not msd. And then adjust the carb afterwards? I’m just looking to fine tune what I have but seem to be jumping back and forth because I don’t know the order to do it. Thanks in advance!

Your starting point is 10 degrees at idle with vacum disconnected. At approximately 650 rpm. Stock compress ion I assume which would be 32 degrees at 2800 rpm. Mark your balance to help.the difficult part is sensing when it wants to ping which may need an experienced helper with good ears.

Thanks snake
So is this an adjust and drive or can it be done all at once sitting

Thanks snake
So is this an adjust and drive or can it be done all at once sitting
This is the essence of tuning, otherwise it's just a one time modification.
At the track its called a test n tune

10 degrees initial with a mopar kit 440 distributor will yield 36 degrees total which would be ok starting point. if the springs haven't been changed in the distributor total advance will occur around 3000rpm. this should be ok for a stock or near stock engine. vaccum advance should be a 9 degree unit. adjust the unit with a 3/32" allen wrench by turning the screw clockwise until it stops and then go back counter clockwise 4 turns. this should give a good baseline to work from.

Auto Transport Service
Back