• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need project ideas Awesome 1975 Dodge Charger SE (not cordoba:)

jw16

Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
Hi im new to the forum and Ive been working on my 1975 dodge charger for about a year now, and gotta say im still loving it more than the day i got it but im running out of ideas and have a few issues.
1st- i need a list of directly interchangeable heads for this year as everyone forgot about 1975+ mopars as if they dont exist or "arent muscle cars"
2nd- i need ideas on a new grill, oem or custom.... doesn't matter to me
3rd- I need to figure out the cause of my toe out condition of my front end
4th- I want some ideas on some interior or upholstery as my seats are too inefficient and are falling apart because i love driving this car soooo much :)
5th- What are some good automatic console slap shift kits like B&M (not sure if i worded that correctly)
Keep in mind ive only just got my first mopar as my other cars have been rice burners (don't worry ill never go back)
IM 21 so all my knowledge i taught myself from others.
-Ive replaced, valve cover gaskets
-Fuel filter
-fuel pump (prev owner)
- dual exhaust kit from jegs (man that really p***ed me off!)
-all fluids but tranny.... its coming soon
-new 600cfm carb from edelbrock (seems much for stock 360)
-new pro flow air cleaner, looks much nicer imo
-cleaned and lubricated everything but pretty much all rubber is starting to rot but ive been buying time with tedious lubrication, pb is this cars best friend

But heres what i know it needs
-valve cover gaskets (ruined my new ones)
-radiator, copper contaminates my coolant badly but my flow is amazing on my gauge and removing a/c added alot of help in cool air and torque from relocating belts and pulleys
-possibly some internals but have 0% valve noise as my hondas and mitsubishis made wayyyy more noise at 1/4 the age and im not sure of my chargers mileage but records seem to prove that this car truly has 108000 mileage as the body and oem mopar gaskets are all original but a few common failing parts, fuel pump, filter, etc
-maybe tranny rebuild...... but far away as ive had wayyyyyyy worse
-sludge needs flushed from engine but 98% has been removed (cant remove and rebuild engine as i traded my old d.d that quit running for this car)..... who could say no to this!
-head gaskets, this is the most needed part as c.c #7 fouls my plugs white after a while, others on left bank dont foul as quick but this may have been due to a massive air leak from my new 340 torker intake
-alignment VERY VERY BADLY! I can stay on the road but one side of the tire on drivers side wears in 2000 miles to the steel belt (i think sway bars are only reason i have hard time noticing the touchy steering)
-New seats (if anyone has any ideas on seat swaps that are easy and just require few mods like swapping rails would be soooo appreciated as this is the only ugly thing on my car or in it!)
Thats all i can think of now, i just mainly want ideas and thoughts on this car or project ideas, this car makes me so happy and if offered a lambo for it, ild tell the guy to shove his v12 up his a** haha (like them but like my car better and its soo much fun but like i do want more because i know it can make more power! still would beat my 200hp prelude or 300gt anyday :)
Any connections or people close to thornton colorado area would be awesome as ive only seen 2 others in this state and do not know much mopar interchangeability
(sorry for bad grammar, its 3am)
I will post more recent pics tomorrow as these are when i first got the car. IMAG1315-1.jpgIMAG1311-1.jpgIMAG1308-1.jpgIMAG1394-1.jpgIMAG1568-1.jpgIMAG1566-2.jpgIMAG1571-1.jpgIMAG1393-1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130609_113522 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20130609_113522 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,092
  • IMG_20130609_113542.jpg
    IMG_20130609_113542.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_20130609_113549.jpg
    IMG_20130609_113549.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_20130630_132051 - Copy (2).jpg
    IMG_20130630_132051 - Copy (2).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 990
  • IMG_20130630_132120 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20130630_132120 - Copy.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_20130630_132137 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20130630_132137 - Copy.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
For interchangeably for a body's has a lot on small block stuff.... as for the grille... find a plastic rechromer and send it out well wrapped double boxed... the tow out is probably worn suspension parts ... alignment shop the seats are going to be a shop ... the problem you have is like mine.... nothing available everything for a 68-70 is I have a 4 door nothing available... 75 charger nothing more for the 2.2 stuff that came after it..... you have to really dig to find stuff useing several names for the same stuff or find stuff from other cars you can live with like seats out of a 70 what ever that you can get covers for and surf around that way.... you have all the 75 charger parts on the planet there is a lot of common parts that fits other cars and trucks that will keep you going but not a lot of specific stuff.... makes it unique

Thanks, which seats do you think will work in the charger, i wanted to refrain from cordoba seats or even leather but i cant be picky so if anyone has seats to sell i will pay alot as its gonna cost 1000+ to reupholster here in my area, and if someone does good paint let me know as the jacka** before me did a half *** two tone job (may have been factory haha) but doubt it

There are some pieces available but you have to look for them, also bare in mind some Plymouth RR and Fury parts ARE inter-changeable, especially interior parts and pieces, as well as drive train parts....my interior is made up of both Dodge and Plymouth, as well as a few odds and end from GM and Ford...71/74 Cutlass center console works well in 75/76 Coronets IF you can't find a Mopar console, as far as shifters I am using a B&M "Z" gate in mine, BUT you have to buy a longer shifter cable if running a 727, EVERYTHING for a front end rebuild is available, as OEM, I would recommend going to Poly if you go that way...mine has been installed over 2 years now with NO problems, squeeks or rattles, and it handles like a go cart after installing a new rear sway bar.... you can check my pix out for a few ideas..

Owned one of those 75 Chargers when they were new(I was working at the dealership) Great road car, should have never let that one go.Now I got a 79 300. You should address the rebuild of the front end and all bushings. It will make the driving of the car like new.Also will cost less than buying tires every 2000 miles.Be safe young man ! cool car...

i have a grill out of a 77 charger PM me if you want it

Attachments

• rb142.jpg
    rb142.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 395
  • rb138.jpg
    rb138.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 412
So update, alignment was done recently as well as a wiring tuck (crappy for now till ignition is addressed)
anyone know where i can get trunk pans? all i see are 74 and older pans... will a dobas fit?
On to a more pressing issue... new emissions requirements in colorado metro area require emissions yearly! Figured no problem since i passed with flying colors last time. WRONG!
tested and passed in all areas but high CO emissions at IDLE ONLY! at 2500 rpm test it passed
limits are 2.000 i was at 3.38 earlier with timing at 5 btdc them adjusted screws and got 2.4
tried advancement to 10 btdc hoping it would help burn more. nope the emissions in CO went up to 3.8 but i think i had idle mixture screw too rich that time.
my question is should i retard timing or advance? i hear mixed ideas but i have vacuum advance distributor, stoick ignition components, 600cfm carb or torker 1 intake, so limited options but will be tuning carb with kit soon
why did i pass last year? i was well under 2 and all i did was improve connections to everything and replace what was bad. my theory though is my fuel pump had been shitting out so maybe that leaned out my test last year? Now its replaced that extra fuel pressure is giving more gas then my cam will allow the motor to consume? would a fpr help lean me out if i droped the fp? i need it plated or anyday my city is gonna take my pride and joy... :(

Auto Transport Service
Back