• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some engine advice

I mentioned the Lunati 10230703LK Voodoo because it is 3-bolt, and should be easier to get. The cam @ lifter kit is only $250.
Lunati and Summit list it out of stock, But Jegs says ships today?
https://www.jegs.com/i/Lunati/638/10230703LK/10002/-1

With the adjustable rockers could go with a solid cam also?

The Hughes cam would have more lift, but 3-bolt is special order, so it is sort of like having to special order a cam from comp? Just thinking of lead times and cost?
The smaller cam should give a big torque boost from idle to peak torque, but will fall off pretty quick after that. The heads still flow good (310 cfm) at 0.500" lift, so peak power might be decent too. I could compare the cams in Dynomation 6, but without knowing all the port lengths and cross section areas it won't be all that accurate? When I ran the iterator for max torque from idle to 5,000 RPM with the current setup, it came back with a cams around 220 on a real narrow LSA?
I could iterate the combination from 2,000 to 6,000 and it would likely show a slightly larger cam.
the iterator allows for Peak HP, Peak Torque, max HP under a RPM curve, and Max Torque under a RPM curve.

I agree with the idea of using a cam with lobes from the same family as what you have now, and just go down to the next smaller one.
No reason to reinvent the wheel.

The XE275HL, on a 3 bolt core, is a part number 23-227-4.

You’ll want to pull the inner springs for cam break in.

So if I would go with the XE275HL, it is basically moving the torque curve to the left, correct? And probably giving up some top end hp? My pushrods should also work?
So these Johnson lifters I put in last fall and ran about 30 miles. Could they be used with this new cam, or would that be a stupid thing to chance?

So if I would go with the XE275HL, it is basically moving the torque curve to the left, correct? And probably giving up some top end hp? My pushrods should also work?
So these Johnson lifters I put in last fall and ran about 30 miles. Could they be used with this new cam, or would that be a stupid thing to chance?
i would keep the old lifters in order and then you can sell your old cam and lifters. the old cam is a really nice cam with the right combo. big plus it's already broke in. it still would be a good cam with 1.5 rockers too because it has so much lift to start with.

Last edited:
push rods will work. the street holley intake will help power above 3000 rpms but hurt a little down low,as for top end power the cam is good till 6000 rpms and you are shifting at 5200 rpms so how much could it hurt.the ch4b would be a good intake for better throttle response and below 3500 rpms compared to the street D. sort of a toss up.

Finally was able to find and purchase a Holley Street Dominator. I did end up getting in touch with Brian. Wanted to ask him 2 things. One, if I should attempt to port match this intake myself. And 2, what his thoughts were on the Comp HE275XL cam.
He said when they port match this intake and also do some work inside he is seeing a 15-25 hp gain on the dyno on an equivalent engine. Since I have never done anything like this and didn't want to ruin the intake, I decided to send it to him. He is being really decent and is charging me a bit over 1/2 of what he normally gets for this service.
He won't answer my question about a cam recommendation however. He wants me to try this intake first.
I am going to get this motor running the way I want, so help me God. The 3 things that I figure will get me there are first the intake swap, second a cam change, and third if needed, go to 3.54 gear ratio in the rear.

Finally was able to find and purchase a Holley Street Dominator. I did end up getting in touch with Brian. Wanted to ask him 2 things. One, if I should attempt to port match this intake myself. And 2, what his thoughts were on the Comp HE275XL cam.
He said when they port match this intake and also do some work inside he is seeing a 15-25 hp gain on the dyno on an equivalent engine. Since I have never done anything like this and didn't want to ruin the intake, I decided to send it to him. He is being really decent and is charging me a bit over 1/2 of what he normally gets for this service.
He won't answer my question about a cam recommendation however. He wants me to try this intake first.
I am going to get this motor running the way I want, so help me God. The 3 things that I figure will get me there are first the intake swap, second a cam change, and third if needed, go to 3.54 gear ratio in the rear.
With all the previous issues with this guy and you still go back for more. With what you paid that thing should run like a rocket. By the time you get done you will have 3 times the parts, 3 times the labor, 10 times the frustration than if you sent it to a qualified local shop. Did you ever think of trying Kilpatrick Engine.

With all the previous issues with this guy and you still go back for more. With what you paid that thing should run like a rocket. By the time you get done you will have 3 times the parts, 3 times the labor, 10 times the frustration than if you sent it to a qualified local shop. Did you ever think of trying Kilpatrick Engine.
Yes, I know. The thing is if I pull it out and take it to Kilpatrick, or somewhere else, they will want to tear it apart and start over. I am not ruling that out by any means, and maybe I should go that route if this intake change doesn't help tremendously, which I'm sure it won't. Probably the worst I would have into it is gaskets, bearings, cam, lifters, and labor. 5-6K, idk? I bet it would run the way I want it to though.

Yes, I know. The thing is if I pull it out and take it to Kilpatrick, or somewhere else, they will want to tear it apart and start over. I am not ruling that out by any means, and maybe I should go that route if this intake change doesn't help tremendously, which I'm sure it won't. Probably the worst I would have into it is gaskets, bearings, cam, lifters, and labor. 5-6K, idk? I bet it would run the way I want it to though.
let me take a guess, the ported intake will help a great deal after 3500 rpms and keep pulling over 6000 rpms, but under 3000 rpms will feel even softer than with the old intake. if the intake don't make you happy i would make him change the camshaft for half price too.

let me take a guess, the ported intake will help a great deal after 3500 rpms and keep pulling over 6000 rpms, but under 3000 rpms will feel even softer than with the old intake. if the intake don't make you happy i would make him change the camshaft for half price too.
I agree with the above, although Im no expert.
From what I've read bigger ports move your power band to higher rpms.

Thar is what I have read as well. He is adament that it will also help at lower rpms however. I will know once and for all in a couple of months when the salt is washed off our roads.

Thar is what I have read as well. He is adament that it will also help at lower rpms however. I will know once and for all in a couple of months when the salt is washed off our roads.
it will be interesting to see.

I sure would not be using the guy that started this build. If he could not do it right the fist time around I surly would not rely on him for anything. By buddy bought a Chevrolet big block from some Brian who had some shop in California. What a disaster that was. I will have to ask him the name. Again I would run like hell from this guy unless you enjoy getting poked it the shorts with a short stick.

This is a highly credible shop. It's an odd story to be sure.

I sure would not be using the guy that started this build. If he could not do it right the fist time around I surly would not rely on him for anything. By buddy bought a Chevrolet big block from some Brian who had some shop in California. What a disaster that was. I will have to ask him the name. Again I would run like hell from this guy unless you enjoy getting poked it the shorts with a short stick.
This is Brian Hafliger at IMM Engine and Dyno, Indio, CA
Be interesting if it is the same place.

This is a highly credible shop. It's an odd story to be sure.
Yes it is. And it is the reason I keep talking to him. That, and the fact he built me a great 408 a few years ago that I just love.

Got the Street Dominator back from porting. Here are some before and after pics. He also welded up the EGR hole in the bottom of the plenum. I installed it and am going to drive it this spring to see what difference it really makes. He is claiming 50 hp more than the Weiand that was on the motor. I can't see that happening, but will never know without a dyno run.
I'm sure I will still be doing something with the motor. Mr. Porter believes swapping cams to a Comp XE275HL will make a big difference by moving the torque band to a lower rpm and also raising the cranking compression to 180-185 psi. My only concern with that is I don't want to go though the hassle and still have a motor that is not optimal. A part of me is leaning to pulling it out and taking it somewhere and starting over. Pistons and rods for a real quench and a cam swap.

20220302_082530.jpg 20220302_082448.jpg 20220302_082427.jpg 20220321_121907.jpg 20220321_121701.jpg 20220321_121721.jpg

It’s been many years since I looked into the plenum of a low deck Holley SD........ but I don’t remember it having the “dams” on those 3 runners.
I wonder if they all/always had that?

It’s been many years since I looked into the plenum of a low deck Holley SD........ but I don’t remember it having the “dams” on those 3 runners.
I wonder if they all/always had that?
Yeah, I questioned that as well. And why only on 3? He said that is how they were made and he always leaves those dams intact.

Auto Transport Service
Back