• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help pulling an engine

merkfalc

Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
I have a '66 belvedere w/ a 318 poly and a three speed. I have everything disconnected, all the bolts taken off, and I still can't get it to come out. What am I missing? When I had my ford all I had to do was unbolt everything and it came right out. Any help would be appreciated.

David

Does it move if you grab the valve covers while leaning over it and try to rotate it clockwise and counter clockwise while hanging from the cherry picker and clearly have separation from the bell housing at the bellhousing bolts? I'm assuming you mean 3 speed manual trans .. is it in neutral?

questions two: is it in a bind on the motor mounts or something else?

I can't even seem to get it separated from the transmission. It is the three speed manual and it is in neutral.

I wonder if the bellhousing is stuck to the rear of the shortblock.

Did you un-bolt the trans from the bellhousing or the bellhousing from the rear of the motor?

When you jack the engine up with the picker is it clearing the motor mounts and bringing the bellhousing up against the trans tunnel?

Can you see any indication where it's hanging up?

the only other thing is the exhaust where did you unhook it? If you unbolted the manifolds from the heads are the studs still in the heads and sticking through the manifolds?

I unbolted the bellhousing from the motor. I didn't think of checking to see if the manifolds were dropping down or not. I'm going to go give that a whirl. Thanks for the advice.

Auto Transport Service
Back