• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help reading the pinion depth on this gear

I have an old Powermatic belt/disc sander that makes short work of stuff like that. Lay the race flat on the table and go round and round one time and it's done. Beats the snot out of paper rolls or brake hone a cone but I do have those that I've done too. Had some carrier bearings done but think they got loaned out to never return again. :(

My set up bearings for the Dana 60 are honed out and I put the shims under the pinion bearing, makes for a faster/easier way to set it up.

And as said, under the race or bearing, really doesn’t matter as they accomplish the same thing.

And then install a new race. :D I'm not a big fan of polishing down the fits to make a slip fit as I like my bearings to be at least .0005-.001 tight. If they have to be removed, .001 isn't too bad to pull off. Had a factory pinion bearing that was .005 tight one time and man.....no way to pull that off without damaging stuff.

The polishing the pinion info comes directly from Strange.
Doug

The polishing the pinion info comes directly from Strange.
Doug
Seems like I've read that over the years....it's just something I don't care to do but will polish the shaft to get the coating off and to get where the bearing is about .0005 tight if it isn't already there. Didn't say you're doing anything wrong but just said what I like to do and after 30+ years of doing it this way, it doesn't seem to be wrong either....
DJ

Auto Transport Service
Back