• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to replace my radiator | any good youtube video?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
Have to replace the 26" radiator on my 69 charger r/t (w/440 & A/C).
I know that should not be to hard to figure out but i never done it before.
So just in case there is a good video please let me know so i could watch it before actually going to work...

Michael just take pictures and you will do just fine.

You will have to remove the cooler line fittings and the peacock drain from the radiator to get them by the fan blade.

If you are going to remove the fan then cover the radiator core with thin cardboard first so you don’t bang up the fins or poke a tube.

Remove the horns first, and the relay if in the way.

Remove both hoses before you loosen the attaching bolts. The bottom 2 attaching bolts just need to be loosened a few turns, the rad bracket is slotted so it will slip out. Then when you put it back in you can set it on those lower bolts.

Once you loosen the bolts and move the rad away from the body, put painters tape on the body so you don’t scratch the paint. Then the tape comes off easy when done. Don’t use any other tape, especially don’t tape. It won’t want to come off.

I know your car is a nice survivor so don’t bang anything up. Take you time and be careful.

Well, unfortunately the weather wasn't becoming as good as expected.
In fact, today its even snowing again!!!

So i was not able to replace the radiator just yet.
But i was watching this general chrisfix video which provides a few good tips.

One question:

he suggests flushing the cars cooling system to get all the old dirt out bevor installing the new radiator, which makes sense.
(He also got a video on how to flush the cooling system)

Well unfortunately my car overheats instantly after reaching operating temperature so can't really go all that far.

How do i get the cooling system clean (and all the old fluid and dirt out) before swapping the radiator?

My dad suggested using an air compressor. What do you think?

Well, unfortunately the weather wasn't becoming as good as expected.
In fact, today its even snowing again!!!

So i was not able to replace the radiator just yet.
But i was watching this general chrisfix video which provides a few good tips.

One question:

he suggests flushing the cars cooling system to get all the old dirt out bevor installing the new radiator, which makes sense.
(He also got a video on how to flush the cooling system)

Well unfortunately my car overheats instantly after reaching operating temperature so can't really go all that far.

How do i get the cooling system clean (and all the old fluid and dirt out) before swapping the radiator?

My dad suggested using an air compressor. What do you think?

IMO...
Flushing the system is an excellent idea especially when installing a new radiator. There are several commercially available cleaners available but be careful to insure that all of the flushing material is removed. Any cleaner containing a high percentage of sodium hydroxide is death to aluminum. Using compressed air should help loosening any crud in the block. TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate) is an excellent metal cleaner but check if it is compatible (any residual) with aluminum. Additionally, consider removing the block drain plugs, and maybe the last core hole plug (freeze plug) to the back of the the block...as that is where the most crud tends to accumulate, because its a low velocity circulation point. Remember to reverse flush the heater core when flushing the block. I'm sure others will have their own opinions and methods. Just my thoughts....
BOB RENTON

Michael to get started just drain your old radiator down far enough to remove the thermostat.
Replace the housing with a new gasket and add your flush chemical ( what ever brand you have available in Germany ) top off with some water.
You have to run the engine up to operating temp a few times to let the flush do its job.
After it cools enough to be safe drain the radiator then pull the radiator hoses off the radiator but leave them on the engine.
Stuff a rag in the lower and fill engine with your garden hose up to the top of the top hose.
Pull the bottom rag and let it dump.
Now restrict your hose and put the garden hose in the other and let it run.
You need to restrict the out flow to keep the engine full but still have flow through it.
As posted , back flush the heater core.
Main thing is to get right to flushing after the chemical is dumped.
If you let the engine sit empty it will dry out and your back to square one again.
There are several flush products around.
If available the evapo rust radiator flush is the best I have used. You will need 2qts to do your big block system.
Remember to wear eye protection.

Auto Transport Service
Back