• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need traction suggestions

Linden Johnson

old man driving a "wild n crazy" car
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, need ur skilled help to suggest tires for better traction. Im not opposed to drag/radials never rain driven anyway. Currently have 265/65 BFG's. I dont want to go taller but definetly need something that will hook up. 580HP 3:54 Dana 60. Im 70 yrs young and dont abuse my car but every once in awhile, the kid comes out in me. Thanks in advance for your help

Dec 23-23 - 3.jpg
engine bay 1.jpg

For the most part that is not going to happen unless some more serious modifications are made. 375HP was hard enough to hook up.

Even guys at the strip with 14/32's have to warm them up in the bleach box first! Re-locate the springs
inboard and put in bigger tubs. Nice Car! Personally, I would love it just the way it is. You've done a nice
job!

Second the ET street Rs. More aggressive than the ET street ss. Avoid rain.
If you were racing, then real slicks, or et street bias, or Hoosier quick time pro.
(All of the bias streets are just basically grooved slicks, with slightly stiffer sidewalls.
But ANY drag radial anything would be worlds better than a bfg t/a. M&H, M/T, Hoosier, Nitto, and Toyo all make "drag"radial street tires.
(I'm 71, and these are my street tires....)

20200302_122341.jpg

20200302_122304.jpg

I have a set of Mickey Thompson ET and they work pretty good but I can still light them up. Last 1/8 mile event, unprepared track I was was spinning waaaay down the track.

I've had Nitto 555 as well. Both are better than BFG.

Buy a good set of adjustable shocks and a pair of stickey DOT rated tires. To make these components work it is advisable to use greasable poly LCA pins, greasable poly UCA bushings and adjustable strut rods ( source : Proforged, QA1) to free up the suspension movement.

Moving to the rear suspension, Cal tracs can work, however these can tend to be trickey to make work on a street/no prep surface because they bite HARD and you need a very stiff shock to control the hit of the bars.

For reference, my GTS will go 1.70's ( a few in the 1.60s too) 60' on a 236-60-14 M&H DOT bias...with a 4 speed....water burn out only.

Be Safe and Have Fun!

FB_IMG_1696901029450.jpg

I’d run ET Street SS’s on that car, 275/60’s. They’ll hook up a LOT more than what you have, but at the track with proper prep. Nothing is going to keep you stuck on the street. That’s just a reality. Air them down & heat them up and they’d be somewhat successful. But what you see guys do at the track just is not going to happen on the street.

Hi guys, need ur skilled help to suggest tires for better traction. Im not opposed to drag/radials never rain driven anyway. Currently have 265/65 BFG's. I dont want to go taller but definetly need something that will hook up. 580HP 3:54 Dana 60. Im 70 yrs young and dont abuse my car but every once in awhile, the kid comes out in me. Thanks in advance for your help

View attachment 1590938View attachment 1590939
Lack of traction? THat's what you get with 580 horse under the hood.

Lack of traction? THat's what you get with 580 horse under the hood.

I’d say it’s more about street pavement than 580hp. I’ve got approx. 650hp under my hood, and a 275/60 ET street would hook it up just fine on a prepped surface. But on the street it would likely go up in smoke with a set of 33x16 Bias Slicks.

If you’ve never stood on a prepped track, you have no idea how sticky they are. It will pull the shoes off your feet… And you’ll have to tug at them to get them loose. These tire compounds are then designed to stick to that surface.
That is how guys stick 800+ hp. In a relatively stock chassis.

I’d say it’s more about street pavement than 580hp. I’ve got approx. 650hp under my hood, and a 275/60 ET street would hook it up just fine on a prepped surface. But on the street it would likely go up in smoke with a set of 33x16 Bias Slicks.

If you’ve never stood on a prepped track, you have no idea how sticky they are. It will pull the shoes off your feet… And you’ll have to tug at them to get them loose. These tire compounds are then designed to stick to that surface.
That is how guys stick 800+ hp. In a relatively stock chassis.
I know all that. I just laugh at the street guys that overbuild and then want more traction because they added 300 horsepower. You could run 14x32's and a 4 link and not hook on a city street. Street traction and Drag Strip traction are polar opposites.

Auto Transport Service
Back