• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never to old to be amazed.

Cornpatch MO

Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
This 440 engine I have in Brutus-the 64 Dodge 4 speed, is my first experience with a Mopar big block. It is a lower compression engine (78 Dodge full size) I modified it with 516 heads-stock except for larger exhaust valves and hard seats--shim type head gaskets which give me very close to 9.5 compression. ---a slightly used Summit cam with no spec available, about .o45 lift with substantial duration. RPM performer Eddy and 750 CFM holley. Stock points distributor. Stock magnum exhaust manifolds. No traction with street tires, put on 275/60R 15 Nitto DOT street drag radials could not break loose with a 3 - 3500 RPM launch. killed the engine. Afraid of breaking the driveline again.
Blaming the carburation, but you all told me-" get the ignition right first" So : Pertronix III points conversion, Pertronix 40,000 volt stock looking coil. FBO Systems advance limiter plate and advance weight spring kit, and a friends bench distributor machine. Many sources said to get the advance all in at about 2000 RPM. We could not do it that early with the springs we had. A call to FBO told us NO, not that early with a 4 speed.. more like about 3000RPM and he told us the springs to use. It was set up limited at 36 degree total advance . 18 degree of mechanical advance. 8 degree of vacume advance, and 10 degree of initial advance.
MAN ! did that wake that car up !!!!.. no adjustments to the carb. , and running rich. Took it to the 1/8 mile drag strip. car show event with no time slips, just showed on the finish line sign board. Water burn out and no traction aids. 3000RPM launch and I could not get enough traction! 32 lbs rear tire pressure...Grampaw shifting at about 5000RPM ( still pulling hard) 7.90 et which I think translates to about 12.50 quarter mile.
I am amazed at what ignition tuning will do, and I know with carb tinkering, tire pressure, some traction compound, and better driving, I can lower that by a few 1/10ths....I'm having fun now!!..............................MO

That'll do the trick! 7.90 first time out is very respectable IMO.

What does your car weigh?

I found that 16-18 lbs in the rear tires with the Nitto DR's work very well at the track.

It's always the little things--- gotta do them first. Then you have to spend $$$ for all the rest, for the never ending quest!

Awesome deal!! Glad you got a chance to run it. Where at?

This 440 engine I have in Brutus-the 64 Dodge 4 speed, is my first experience with a Mopar big block. It is a lower compression engine (78 Dodge full size) I modified it with 516 heads-stock except for larger exhaust valves and hard seats--shim type head gaskets which give me very close to 9.5 compression. ---a slightly used Summit cam with no spec available, about .o45 lift with substantial duration. RPM performer Eddy and 750 CFM holley. Stock points distributor. Stock magnum exhaust manifolds. No traction with street tires, put on 275/60R 15 Nitto DOT street drag radials could not break loose with a 3 - 3500 RPM launch. killed the engine. Afraid of breaking the driveline again.
Blaming the carburation, but you all told me-" get the ignition right first" So : Pertronix III points conversion, Pertronix 40,000 volt stock looking coil. FBO Systems advance limiter plate and advance weight spring kit, and a friends bench distributor machine. Many sources said to get the advance all in at about 2000 RPM. We could not do it that early with the springs we had. A call to FBO told us NO, not that early with a 4 speed.. more like about 3000RPM and he told us the springs to use. It was set up limited at 36 degree total advance . 18 degree of mechanical advance. 8 degree of vacume advance, and 10 degree of initial advance.
MAN ! did that wake that car up !!!!.. no adjustments to the carb. , and running rich. Took it to the 1/8 mile drag strip. car show event with no time slips, just showed on the finish line sign board. Water burn out and no traction aids. 3000RPM launch and I could not get enough traction! 32 lbs rear tire pressure...Grampaw shifting at about 5000RPM ( still pulling hard) 7.90 et which I think translates to about 12.50 quarter mile.
I am amazed at what ignition tuning will do, and I know with carb tinkering, tire pressure, some traction compound, and better driving, I can lower that by a few 1/10ths....I'm having fun now!!..............................MO
I can't wait 'till you find the benefits of Metamucil!

That'll do the trick! 7.90 first time out is very respectable IMO.

What does your car weigh?

I found that 16-18 lbs in the rear tires with the Nitto DR's work very well at the track.
I need to get a weight on it. I am going to guess about 3,800 lb. Maybe more. I didn't have a way to air up the tires before the 90 miles drive home. Next time out, I will be more prepared to experiment. Thanks........................MO

Awesome deal!! Glad you got a chance to run it. Where at?
Rustember Fest at the I-29 drag strip South of Glenwood. 2 day car show with a lot going on. geared for Rat Rods and pre 1972 Street Rods. Similar to the Kansas City Greaserama......................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back