• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 72

Mo Powa Mopar

Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and my car and I am thankful for the knowledge on this forum to help fellow enthusiasts.

Long story, but growing up my Dad was into cars and mostly Mopars and from the various car shows, I developed an interest in the muscle cars too even though they were built well before I was born. Either way, I have always like the look of the 1971 and 1972 Plymouth Satellite/Road Runner/GTX. Something about that wrap around bumper and tough look.

Anyway, I recently picked up a 1972 Plymouth Satellite "project" (not able to afford the Road Runner or GTX) it has some issues and I am hoping to utilize the talent on this forum to help guide me to build my dream muscle car.

As most know attending car shows is different than owning a classic car and working on them and knowing how to keep them on the road, so I am prepared for a learning experience which has already started. I really wish I did a bit of more research before buying the car as I have figured out from friends that it has a fair amount of bodywork "bondo" done to it. Based on the fender tag it was an original GY9 dark gold color that was repainted. It looks as if the car went through some form of restoration a few years ago where the car was converted from the full white vinyl top to what it is now.

It has the 318 but is missing the intake and carb so will need those parts and a few more to bring back to life, but my plan was to build a higher horsepower car, but I am not sure the condition of the rest of the frame and if it can handle the additional power. I also have a different b-body a 1979 Dodge Magnum with a 360 that I may swap in.

I am looking forward to having the learning continue from everyone on the forum and am glad to have this place as a resource as I continue with this car. Thank you in advance!

fender tag.JPG IMG_3761.jpg IMG_3832.jpg IMG_3834.jpg IMG_3837.jpg IMG_3840.jpg IMG_3845.jpg IMG_3852 (2).JPG IMG_3857.jpg

Hi, thanks for the pictures. :welcome:
Good luck on getting it going the way you want!

Welcome. Me too-on the wrap around bumper. Chrysler Designer John Herlitz!

Welcome!! That 72 has plenty of potential.

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a good project you have ahead of you!

Welcome aboard from NJ. Looks like a nice start. Don't worry about it being a 318. Being as you are missing the intake and carb, get a small 4 barrel set up instead of the 2 barrel since you have to get something to make it run.
:thumbsup:

welcome to FBBO nice looking project keep us posted

Welcome from Michigan and sweet ride you have.

Welcome. The '72 sure has potential. Interior looks real good. Close inspection & sanding of frame will tell you if surgery is needed. The '71/72 Satty's have always been one of my favorites. As I recall putting a BB in is not hard. Work away at things till you them the way you like. Good luck.

Last edited:
That makes two of us, I also have a '72 GY9 Satellite Sebring Plus but it has a floor shift, I see you have the column shift. I drove my parents new '71 Road Runner to school back in the day (H.S. class of '73) so I know what these cars were like from the showroom floor. I painted my Satellite Bahama Yellow, like my parent's car was (a 1971 color).

Good starting point ! Great body style !

Welcome.
It looks like a good car to me.
Good luck with it.

cool 72 project

welcome to FBBO

Auto Transport Service
Back