• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Air Grabber Setup, Faulty Switch/Low Vacuum

Update: another new actuator from PG classic should be here in a week.

In the meantime with a lot of research I found that the 68-69 charger headlight door actuators are basically the same piece. The 68s had a magnet assist inside to help keep the doors open under low vacuum.(the dirty looking actuator is from the '69 Charger)
PXL_20210422_023832030.jpg

My friend happens to have a 69 Charger grille hanging on his wall as art and it still has the actuators. One of them tested good and held vacuum and he let me snag it from him.

I installed it on my car yesterday and was able to get the scoop to raise and lower, proving that yes indeed it is the actuator that was keeping me from having a functioning scoop. Now the vacuum ports are in a little bit different location but I don't care, it works.
PXL_20210423_131139244.jpg

Without the spring assist however, the scoop will not close all the way and I'm guessing it's just the actuator itself maybe worn out.
PXL_20210422_215345427.jpg

I do have to give it a few extra revs to get the scoop to lift all the way with the spring on but it works for now. Just waiting and hoping that the new actuator will work but I don't have a lot of confidence.
PXL_20210422_214825929.jpg

What amazes me is that a 52 year old part still works and all these new reproductions don't. They should, all flippin expensive!

Last edited:
Can't comment much about the present day repro parts but...
For my 70RR that was an original air grabber car, I have low vacuum(< 8") and my air grabber door opens/closes fully...

Auto Transport Service
Back