• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New B body owner

440gtx1967

Local time
6:34 PM
Reaction score
Hi my first mopar (have always had Fords)..I currently own a 67 GTX 440...it has stock manifolds, and a pedestrian 3.25 rear....would you consider this a muscle car?

Yep and we love pics
1664496221702.png

Welcome from CT. Nice car the 3.23's in the make acceleration weak. 3.55 would wake it up.

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. Nice GTX! I saw it earlier this year at Larry Grogan's. I have a 1967 R/T, the Dodge equivalent of your Plymouth. These were Chrysler's first official entry into the Muscle Car Wars. They built a lot of fast cars before this, but these were the first "package cars" with specific powertrains and heavy duty brake and suspension parts. The first with scoops, stripes, and badging to show it was not Aunt Matilda's grocery shopper. The standard 440 has gobs of low end torgue and works well with any gear. I first built my R/T with 3.91's and changed them out to 3.23's because it was too squirrelly for me with the taller gears. 3.23 is a good trade-off for acceptable fuel economy and performance. Most of my cars' use is cruising rather than racing. There is a lot of knowledge and help on this site.

Welcome from a Michigander

Looks great... its the same color as my 67 R/T

I love that color! :thumbsup:

Welcome from western NY! That color really does it for me. Beautiful car!

My first cruise in the car today, coming from 428CJ and Boss 302, i found the exhaust note to be a little milder than what I was used to * considering factory exhaust manifolds and stock style exhaust* also the 3.23s where definitely pedestrian the idea of higher gears does appeal to me, to give it a bit more life, the car was responsive the the throttle, not overly, it was a nice cruising car..very comfortable bucket seats, power drums worked better than i expected, steering was a bit loose from what i am used to...the steering wheel was a bit bigger than what I am used to...the car is very well done very beautiful lines with that black vinyl top and black stripes along the hood and trunk really pulls everything together with maroon body colour the redline tires just adds to everything. The underside is as nice as the topside...
I am very excited to be the new caretaker, and learning more about the car and its cousins...
Excuse the more than likely frequent stupid questions

My past cars...68.5CJ mustang, 69 Mach 1 428CJ, 70Boss 302, 71 Boss 351, 69 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ
Current car... 66 Fairlane

Probably needs a proper tuneup. The 67 Fairlane with a 390 was considered a musclecar, these GTX's would bury them, outhandle them and outstop them. Good looking car. Welcome! Looks like you have a great collection.

North
36701377555_0d44590ae4_b.jpg

1967 had the "915"-1 year only closed chamber heads that flowed really well for their time. Go to a 3.55 or 3.73 gear to make it come alive.
Nice looking car !

Nice car. I've had a few big block Mopar cars from that era and some where screamers, and some not so much. Assuming the motors in good shape, no flat cam and worn rings, it might need a couple things.

If you aren't driving it much distance on the freeway I like the 3.9 gears in those cars, as they aren't light; if you need the gas mileage the 3.5 gears will help. You might also want to make sure the distributor has been done with about 15deg initial and 32 total, or there abouts. The exhaust will be fine as I've had some quick street cars with those iron manifolds.

Welcome from Alabama, yes 67 GTX'S are muscle cars. There are a lot of one year only performance parts factory installed in 67. If it's all stock, it performs better than you are describing. This never restored car of mine with 90K miles and 3.23's will still scorch the tires most of the way through low and 15-20 feet in 2nd with a good squeak in drive. I suggest a tuneup and 100 octane gas.
20210425_135536.jpg

Welcome from Missouri!! Nice car!!

Greetings from northern Michigan.

Killer color combo and profile. Really liking the look with the wheels. And like others have alluded to, if you like cruising around at a comfortable rpm going 55+, keep the gearing or maybe go 3.55. More in town driving 3.91 would liven up the throttle response. The 440 should be a strong puller either way.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back