• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Gas Tank

Dave6T4

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:01 PM
Reaction score
Prior to buying a new gas tank for my 1967 Coronet, I did some price checking to get the best deal. These reproduction gas tanks are produced by Spectra Industries in Stratford, Ontario, about an hour's drive from me. Unfortunately, they do not sell directly to the public. I called two local parts jobbers, I got prices of $485.00 Can. and $490.00 Can. Adding our 13 % sales tax brings this to about $550.00.
By Googling Mancini's, Van's, and Roseville Dodge, I found that their prices ranged from $165.00 US. to $235.00 US. for the same Spectra tank from Ontario. I called Roseville and asked if they could order a tank and have it shipped to my address. They said that they did not get their tanks directly from Spectra, but from AMD, so could not do that. I went to the Rockauto site and found that for $337.00 Can., I could have the tank delivered to my door, taxes and shipping included. I ordered it Monday afternoon and it arrived today, Friday, shipped from Racine, Wisconsin.
It is pretty incredible that this tank could be shipped back and forth across our border twice, and still be over $200.00 cheaper than buying it locally. This is the frustration and expense that Canadian car builders/restorers must face. Pretty well everything has to come from U.S. sources.

In my travels for my work over the past 35 years, I have been amazed at how many fees and taxes
are piled onto parts and equipment purchased in other countries! As an American, I guess I have to
say I'm lucky that I don't have some idiot opening up my packages and putting a "whimsical value"
on my ****. 13% tax? OMG! Yeah, you did the smart thing. Not everyone wants to go through all of
the detective work as you did, but in your case it paid off. Congrats!

I had the same experience and share your frustration. I'm in Manitoba and there is a Spectra warehouse here. They are even more expensive for a 1974 Charger. I was getting local prices of $600 to $1000. I bought it off of Amazon.com for $275, a few years back, with free shipping to the border. I picked it up on a trip to the US for a car show. I just checked my local Napa and had to take a screen cap to show the price.
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 9.10.01 PM.png

Prior to buying a new gas tank for my 1967 Coronet, I did some price checking to get the best deal. These reproduction gas tanks are produced by Spectra Industries in Stratford, Ontario, about an hour's drive from me. Unfortunately, they do not sell directly to the public. I called two local parts jobbers, I got prices of $485.00 Can. and $490.00 Can. Adding our 13 % sales tax brings this to about $550.00.
By Googling Mancini's, Van's, and Roseville Dodge, I found that their prices ranged from $165.00 US. to $235.00 US. for the same Spectra tank from Ontario. I called Roseville and asked if they could order a tank and have it shipped to my address. They said that they did not get their tanks directly from Spectra, but from AMD, so could not do that. I went to the Rockauto site and found that for $337.00 Can., I could have the tank delivered to my door, taxes and shipping included. I ordered it Monday afternoon and it arrived today, Friday, shipped from Racine, Wisconsin.
It is pretty incredible that this tank could be shipped back and forth across our border twice, and still be over $200.00 cheaper than buying it locally. This is the frustration and expense that Canadian car builders/restorers must face. Pretty well everything has to come from U.S. sources.
lets go justin....

I met a man that owned a foundry in Detroit. He made golf club "Heads" for Titlest .
Raw material titanium comes from Siberia, Cast in Detroit, sent to Sweden for finishing then sent to another country for the shafts to be installed before going to a wholesale distributor and then to a retailer. Sure don't make sense to me....

That's the same issue I had. Does not make sense.
Other question: where do you fellow Canadians source upgraded torsion bars?

Auto Transport Service
Back