• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Guy from CO with a few 440 questions.

Code10

Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
Hi, been lurking for a long time. Recently got back into the Mopar game after several years away. Me and my best friend used to wrench together but he passed away and I lost interest in the garage for several years. This summer I got the bug again and picked up a 68 Charger 383 4bbl/ 727. I have mostly been doing cosmetic work but now I want to swap the 383 for a 440 I have had sitting in the garage. Me and my friend built the motor (mostly him). He tried to teach me what he could but I lack the knowledge base to appropriately set this thing up and would appreciate your input on how to proceeded. My goals for the car are a stout street car that can break the tires loose at 25mph (no trips to the strip). I have to be able to run on the highway for up to 25 minutes at 65-70mph without issue due to our location.

I used the old part numbers to find the piston and cam specs which I have attached. Currently running a 2800 stall in the 727 and an 8-3/4 with a 323 sure grip. The 440 is a 1970 cast and has a Performer RPM intake, six pack rods, reworked 906 heads, 1968 HP manifolds, Holly 870 avenger carb but considering going to a 750, 2.5" exhaust. I know the manifolds are probably going to be an issue but I wanted to run them if possible.

Nice to meet everyone and thanks again!

FB_IMG_1705314085302.jpg
thumbnail_20230520_153741.jpg
Cam Specs.jpg
Piston Specs.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from Alabama, great looking Charger. My favorite year for the Charger.

Welcome from the central coast of Cal. Looks like you have the same basic engine build thats in my 67 wagon including the bump stick. Mine has headers. Got the car that way. When I can swing it, I'm going to put some 15's on[ currently 225/70-14] and I'll either use a 275/60 or a 255/70 on the back. 28 and 29" tall or so. That will help with my overall gear ratio[ 3.23 too] to drop some r's. In the future I'd like to do an A41[ 4L60e/700R4] conversion to gain the overdrive. It's the least portly and does not require as much surgery as a 727 od[ 46RE] or the TCI 6speed units. Greg, KernDog, and Rich, CoronetDarter, can give you blow by blow of going manual with 5 speed unit swap/installs if you want to go that way. Both are in the members projects/restoration section.

Welcome aboard from Ohio.

Yeh, very nice charger an welcome.
Sorry you buddy passed.
If your stalling to 2800 with the 383 it prob will go a bit higher with the 440 installed. You flat foot at 20mph with a good carb tune and curve on the distributor you should reach your goal , lol
The convertor may be a bit tall for the 3:23s if it's loose. Just keep a eye on trans Temps and fluid smell.
I would add a trans cooler for sure.

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Sounds like a decent street beast build, combo
lots of torque from the 440, extra 3/8" of stroke
& 60 more cubes doesn't hurt either
just jet down the 870 Avenger if need be, &/or air-bleeds
never hurts to have the extra cfm flow capability
It should be fine, with the 3.23:1 gears & a 2,800 stall
(a good trans cooler is a good idea) It should be fun
lack of headers will choke it down some
BBM biggest choke points in performance, are their cylinder heads...

maybe you could go to a Gear Venders Over/Under drive conversion
best of both worlds, pretty much a bolt in $3500
& you'll need to shorten the driveshaft
you won't or don't need the GM trans, retain more value of the car that way too
KISS keep it simple stupid (not that you're stupid),
a phrase when it comes to builds...

maybe check out the Resto-Mod & Pro-Touring forum
a few great ideas & threads there, should be right up your alley

nice 68 Charger
good luck

Last edited:
Welcome from just East of you! Ha! I hope you drive that beautiful car REAL SLOW on that rock covered road?
I like it!

Thank you everyone for the welcome and the input. I will continue to ask questions. Doing the swap next weekend.:drinks:

Welcome! Nice Charger. What part of Colorado?
I'm in Aurora

Auto Transport Service
Back