• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy with a couple Coronet's

Nice Coronets.

What are you intending to tow?

There were hitch designs included in the owners manuals for 1966 Coronets.

I've found that the 66/67 frame rails are the same distance apart as a Dakota and some years f150.
If you find a hitch designed for those, you may be able to make that work.
Be aware that there are many different designs and some lend themselves better than others.
I found a $20 yard sale class II that's almost a drop in.
Although I do need to grind off just a bit and work on reinforcing the frame rail, not to mention the attachment.
Probably cut from above to put in plates and square nuts.

Nice Coronets.

What are you intending to tow?

There were hitch designs included in the owners manuals for 1966 Coronets.

I've found that the 66/67 frame rails are the same distance apart as a Dakota and some years f150.
If you find a hitch designed for those, you may be able to make that work.
Be aware that there are many different designs and some lend themselves better than others.
I found a $20 yard sale class II that's almost a drop in.
Although I do need to grind off just a bit and work on reinforcing the frame rail, not to mention the attachment.
Probably cut from above to put in plates and square nuts.

Thank you!

Well initially I played with the idea of towing the 68 to the track or when I pick up another project. But I've slowly been giving up on that idea.
But I'd still like to be able to tow my motorcycle to a trackday. Am I crazy for still wanting to tow other cars with it?

Specs on the 66 for reference. All factory/numbers matching 383 4bbl, 727, 8 3/4 (3.23). She's loaded with factory options (P/S, P/B, A/C, etc) and the only thing not stock was the front disc brake upgrade I did and the Magnum 500's (have the original steelies w/hubcaps in the shed)

I did not know about the owners manual having that info, ill dig online to see if i can find a digital or hard copy.

I've seen the Bbody hitches that were aftermarket and made back in the 70's I believe, but only in pictures and with very little info on their durability/capabilities. Have you seen or heard of these before?

Thanks for responding btw, I appreciate the info/feedback immensely

Also- think about where your exhaust is going to be.

A lot of times it's directly under the frame rails.

I prefer a hitch that mounts with "ears" that are inboard of the frame rail.

I've found that design is about 50/50.

Much easier to get at bolts and more clearance for exhaust.

Auto Transport Service
Back