• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here with a 66

Hi nice Charger I'm new to the forum too I've had my 66 charger for 12 years an love it.

20190507_092301.jpg 20190507_092316.jpg 20190723_170326.jpg

Welcome, nice ride. As per your EL on the dash, check your voltage in and out of the EL power pack behind the glove box. First, check for AC voltage on the white wire on the power pack side. This is done by checking for 240 volts at white wire. You will need to disconnect the orange & white wire connector and then run a jumper wire between the orange power wire from the 2 terminals. Leave the white wire coming out of power pack open for your test lead. So then you will have the red of multi-meter to white wire at power pack and the black to ground. Turn the lights on to see if you have the correct AC voltage. If you do, then you will need to check for shorts in your EL system. If you do not have the correct AC voltage then rebuild the pack or replace. Just one of the "fun" things in dealing with these cars. As per the motors, that is another story. But make sure they are getting power too. After 50plus years, there may be some bad wires, ha.

Be careful of that 240 volts. Not much amperage but will sure get your attention if you touch the bare wire. I have been fooling with my EL system for about 6 months now and am finally putting it all back together. I finally had Mark at The Gauge Doc rebuild my cluster and power pak. Not cheap but is honest and does good work. He has a website with lots of good info on those systems. Headlights are another pain but with the limit switches and relays available now they can be made to work dependably . Theres a guy name Topher that rebuilds the motors on https://www.facebook.com/groups/996045710517424/?fref=nf if you need that service. Lots of jerks on there but just ask and someone should direct you to him. Good Luck :)

Be careful of that 240 volts. Not much amperage but will sure get your attention if you touch the bare wire. I have been fooling with my EL system for about 6 months now and am finally putting it all back together. I finally had Mark at The Gauge Doc rebuild my cluster and power pak. Not cheap but is honest and does good work. He has a website with lots of good info on those systems. Headlights are another pain but with the limit switches and relays available now they can be made to work dependably . Theres a guy name Topher that rebuilds the motors on https://www.facebook.com/groups/996045710517424/?fref=nf if you need that service. Lots of jerks on there but just ask and someone should direct you to him. Good Luck :)
Yep, better than coffee in the morning. Agree, check out your systems and if needed, spend the money to get the right guy to fix. If I need to and when I get to that point I will be getting in contact with Mark.

Welcome. Nice looking car. Thanks for posting.

Auto Transport Service
Back