• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member from Aledo, Texas

Super-Dave

Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
A big "Howdy y'all!" from Texas. :lol:
I do not have a Mopar yet, but I'm researching and hope to purchase one within the next 6-12 months. :praying:
I'm leaning toward a 68-69 Charger, but I would not mind a 69 Road Runner or a 69 GTX. I'd prefer a Charger if I can find one at a reasonable price.
Besides upgraded trim packages, are there any substantial differences between the Road Runner and GTX? They appear similar in performance.
I've never owned a Mopar, so I will be leaning on you all for information and advice. For example, I've seen a few Chargers with the 318, but I am biased toward the 383 or 440.
I can't wrap my mind around having the small block in a Charger - comments and rebuttals are welcome. Regarding the 383 vs. 440, what are the main differences besides HP and weight?
Is one more reliable or preferred over the other for substantial reasons other than opinions?
Thanks!

Welcome to the site and good luck with your search. Here is a really good site you can study up on all the options and differences for these old cars. Do some studying and get a little more knowledge before you buy.
MyMopar

Welcome from a couple towns over! I’m in Mineral Wells, there is no difference Between a Roadrunner and a GTX, I get told nice roadrunner all the time.

2566B493-1D2F-4A15-9E78-9046FC21F758.jpeg

Greetings, and welcome from NY. '69 owner myself. Note the difference in side markers on the '68 @Cheapsunglasses owns above and my '69 here. And noticeable difference in tail lights. Choose your flavor. I personally love those '68 round side markers. The big block 383 and 440 engines are both known for their durability.

1670419251354.jpeg

Thank @PlymCrazy, beautiful car! 68s have a beautiful round chrome side marker, the Highway safety board didn’t think that was big enough, so 69 they got the big ugly rectangles.

Welcome from Missouri!! I got nothing after seeing the last two!! LOL

Welcome from Weatherford Texas, right next door. Hope you can find your Mopar dream car at a price that fits your budget.

A big "Howdy y'all!" from Texas. :lol:
I do not have a Mopar yet, but I'm researching and hope to purchase one within the next 6-12 months. :praying:
I'm leaning toward a 68-69 Charger, but I would not mind a 69 Road Runner or a 69 GTX. I'd prefer a Charger if I can find one at a reasonable price.
Besides upgraded trim packages, are there any substantial differences between the Road Runner and GTX? They appear similar in performance.
I've never owned a Mopar, so I will be leaning on you all for information and advice. For example, I've seen a few Chargers with the 318, but I am biased toward the 383 or 440.
I can't wrap my mind around having the small block in a Charger - comments and rebuttals are welcome. Regarding the 383 vs. 440, what are the main differences besides HP and weight?
Is one more reliable or preferred over the other for substantial reasons other than opinions?
Thanks!

Welcome to the site.
You will find that the 68-70 Charger models are at an all time high right now. The asking prices for even incomplete and rusted cars is outrageous.
The body styles of all the 1968-70 B body cars are similar and the weights of them are too. Obviously, the performance of them directly depends on the weight of the car and the power of the engines. Aside from the Charger and the Road Runner/GTX models, there is also the Dodge Coronet to consider.
The 383 and the 440 look similar and share many of the same parts. In stock form, they are equally reliable. As with anything automotive related, the further that you deviate from stock in the name of performance, the less reliable it may become. Higher compression ratios, longer stroke cranks, turbocharging, supercharging all increase power but can shorten the lifespan of the engine due to the greater stress that the engine will be under.
This is not absolute but is a general guideline.
A stroked 440 with a proper tune can live a long life if it isn't abused.
For an example....The slant six and 318 cars were reliable partly because they had low compression and low lift camshafts that didn't allow the engine to rev much past 5000 rpms in stock form. If the engine starts floating the valves at 4700 rpms, it isn't likely that you'll blow it up if you keep oil in it.

Welcome from Illinois!! Best wishes in your search . . .

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

I'm partial to 1968s
I've own 13 RRs 8 of which have been 68s
4 - 69s & 1 - 70
owned about the same (12, 1968-70) 2nd gen Chargers' since around 1974-1975
the
biggest difference between 1st gen RR & GTXs
is RB series 440 (hi deck, 375hp 4.32" bore 3.75" stroke) was std equip.
'torque monster'
(the 426cid Hemi was optional) in the 1968 GTX
trunk/tail panel was a tad bit different & had reflector tape in the recesses
& you could get bucket seats & a console/shifter, 150mph speedo
GTX was an upscale more expensive model, of the mid size 5
GTX was more optioned out, executives hot rod so to speek,
more like Satellite trimmed
(The RR has only a 120mph speedo)
something about the 1st year of a car is special to me too
in a 1st year of RR RM21 Post Coupe
or the RM23 later mid-year Hard Top
B series 383 (low deck, 335hp 4.25" bore 3.375" stroke) was the base/std. engine,
the only other option was a 425hp 426cid Hemi
(RB series - hi flowing hemispherical cylinder heads, 2 4bbl inline carbs 4.25" bore 3.75" stroke)

in 1970 RRs & GTXs you could start to get 'a rally dash' optional, not avail. in 1968/69
dashes like the 68-70 Chargers' had

the RR in the 1st year 1968 was only available with a bench seat,
even with a 4 speed floor shifted, the trunk/tail panel was painted in the recesses
the beep beep horn in the RRs too
any of the 1968-1971 RB 440 or 426 Hemi equipt cars, with 18 spline 4 speeds
all had a Dana-60 rear axles

instead of the 8-3/4" Salsbury/drop-out pumpkin carrier design,
with the 383 with either a 727tf auto or 23 spline 4 speed

there's a whole lot more to them too

in the second generation 1971 & later, options were different
you could even get a small block, kind of fugly after 1972 IMO

2nd Chargers' (1968-1970) have gotten crazy priced
I personally prefer the 1968 in that model too, of all the cars I owned (114 now)
my 1st 1968 Charger R/T in GG1 (dark Green) & Black, I got for $350 in 1974
is the one car I wish I had never sold...

some of 3rd gen Chargers' 1971-74 are still somewhat reasonable
some very cool options to be had on especially the 71-72 models
performance big & small blocks were available in them too
1973 & later the ratings & power realy started tappering off
73-74s are reasonably priced sort of still/even BB cars

1st gen Chargers' 1966-67 are still somewhat affordable
downright bargains, harder to find parts for too

anyway good luck, happy MoPar Hunting

Last edited:
Welcome and good luck with your RR/GTX search. FYI Charger prices are insane now!

Welcome from Alabama, best of luck on the hunt. Check out the Mopars for sale section here.

Auto Transport Service
Back