• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member!

HStoffICC

Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I unfortunately don't own a Mopar myself, but they are a passion of mine. I work at a classic car dealership doing much of the numbers, decoding, and historical documentation for our cars. Mopars are always the most fun to dig into for me. But, I'm only 22 and I certainly still have a lot to learn and a long way to go.
I joined today because we are having a bit of a dispute here over an engine VIN stamp and I'm trying to find the truth on it. Not sure if this the best place to ask, but does this engine stamping look legit to you? I argue that it doesn't. In my experience, this doesn't look like the correct font and there is a lack of striations/cutting marks. The car is a 1971 GTX with a 440.
Any help is much appreciated!

-Harrison
20210803_165805.jpg

I just now got my first look at the castings as they've been working on the car in our shop, and I think I may have gotten my answer. The engine was cast September 20th, 1971. Much too late for a '71 model year car I would think. The trim tag appears to be a reproduction as this car was born a 440 4-bbl according to its VIN and the trim tag says its a V code E87 440+6 car. The trim tag is also a bit too clean and tidy and has no inspection stamp. But the trim tag also shows the build date as July 9th, so even that wouldn't line up.

Here's a look at the trim tag. I haven't gotten a picture of the VIN plate yet, but the VIN begins with RS23U1G. The tag just looks a little too nice and clean to be real and original, besides the engine code discrepancy.

ICC_8671.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from Alabama, someone trying to pass off an illegitimate car, or has your company bought it?
First impression is the stamping looks to clean, also the 0 looks wrong. Just my opinion but the other information asked for will help you and the people here.

Jerry,
We've already bought the car. It was advertised as numbers matching, but we've dealt with the company that sold it before and they won't do anything because they say it's still technically "numbers matching", just not original. So unfortunately we just have to bite the bullet on this one and work around it. Not the first time. We actually just got a Corvette in that's in the exact same boat as this GTX. Still a beautiful car, it'll find a good home I'm sure.

Here's a look at the trim tag. I haven't gotten a picture of the VIN plate yet, but the VIN begins with RS23U1G. The tag just looks a little too nice and clean to be real and original, besides the engine code discrepancy. Can't give out the last 6 of the VIN as it's one of our policies ever since we had a VIN stolen from one of our Corvettes a few years back when we used to give out the VIN publicly, that was a mess for us and the customer who was buying the car and we don't want to risk that happening again.

View attachment 1147837
Sorry you already have in your first post. Those 2 numbers should match. 240782

Jerry,
Oops! You're right, my mistake. It's been a rough week, ha ha! Well, if it does happen, at least we now have experience from the last time.

Last edited:
Jerry,
Oops! You're right, my mistake. It's been a rough week, ha ha! Well, if it does happen, at least we now have experience from the last time.
I regard this forum one of the safer places to post your information. Most here are great people so far in my experience.

welcome to FBBO

good luck with the 71 GTX

Welcome from Missouri!!

Auto Transport Service
Back