• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Plymouth Americarna Festival 2024 - New Zealand **** Picture heavy plus video at the end

Awesome adventure @kiwigtx , thanks for sharing!

Can you educate us on the car culture in NZ. Were these American cars imported as basic transpo back in the day, then work their way into the enthusiast culture, or are they being imported now as collectors/classics? Do you have the same brands available that we have here in the states? There is a lot of diversity in the photos you shared. Pretty cool to see.

Great pics Rog! Though I didn't see any luge pics :poke:

Rog's Luge wipeout.jpg

Awesome adventure @kiwigtx , thanks for sharing!

Can you educate us on the car culture in NZ. Were these American cars imported as basic transpo back in the day, then work their way into the enthusiast culture, or are they being imported now as collectors/classics? Do you have the same brands available that we have here in the states? There is a lot of diversity in the photos you shared. Pretty cool to see.
Many cars were imported by American servicemen working out of Christchurch (they went mostly to McMurdo, Antarctica) and the cars were left here and sold locally. Cost too much to send back I guess.
Most are probably private imports as far as the classic cars go from USA. Very few were imported by car dealers - a few Chevy Impalas back in the day, but most were private imports by wealthy farmers with big families. I went to school with kids from a family of 8 that had an Impala.

The Hot Rods would have either been scratch built here, or built using imported bodies from USA mainly. The English cars you see first up were some of the only cars you could get here back in the 50's - 60's as new. We had to wait at least 6 months from ordering a new car - shipping was by ship. The Duty and Sales Tax was so prohibitive back then that only wealthy people could afford new cars. The rest of us plebs had to make do with fixing up the leftovers. That is probably a continuation of "The Kiwi way" - as in when the first settlers arrived here we had nothing but the ship and the trunk with a few personal possessions.

Being so far from everywhere else, people repaired and maintained things for longer than most other countries would bother with. It's just how we are, and the length of time it takes to get anything. That would be a good reason for so many Vintage cars still on the road, and the thousands still being discovered in barns to this day.

Thanks for sharing @kiwigtx lots of cool cars & photos shared
some cars never seen except for in photos
Interesting for sure...

It looks like a lively time there, lots going on
fun drinking & catching up with old friends & people
glad you had fun & no wrecks/headers on the luge this time...

I gave you a few likes :thumbsup: & :thankyou: too

Thanks for sharing @kiwigtx lots of cool cars & photos shared
some cars never seen except for in photos
Interesting for sure...

It looks like a lively time there, lots going on
fun drinking & catching up with old friends & people
glad you had fun & no wrecks/headers on the luge this time...

I gave you a few likes :thumbsup: & :thankyou: too
Thanks Bud...... yeah I looked at the luge and it took me back to a time when I ended up waiting for the Wambulance. :rofl: Almost..... a few spots of Iodine and a gauze bandage.....stung like something else.....but it was fun all the same. Completely rolled the thing off the track and over the top of me. Lost one shoe in the spill.
I felt like such a Clarkson. :lol:

There is (or was) a four door Austin gasser for sale local to me in Arizona. I want it BAD, I just can't justify another car, much as I would like to. I have way, WAY too many cars needing work now!

Just curious, how long does it take to cruise around the country?

Just curious, how long does it take to cruise around the country?
This might give you a fair representation...

1709064862974.png

Back in 2001, I drove home (Queenstown to Pakuranga in Auckland - 1540km / 956 miles / 276,800 washing machines)) with my wife in a fully loaded (tools and materials) Holden Commodore wagon in 23.5 hours - inc ferry crossing that took about 4 hours (arrival to unloading). I drove the entire distance, and at times I don't remember going through some towns and villages.....lol

Couldn't get away with that now - the fines would be horrendous. I jokingly told the guys at work before I left that I would set the odometer chime to 180kph.......well, I had that thing going mental flying through the Manapouri Dam straights.....under the ever-watchful gaze of Mt Cook.

Desert Road was about 30 minutes.....any Kiwis reading will know that's darn near impossible now. It certainly helps when you get off the ferry at nearly midnight.
I have to admit to feeling fairly drowsy at about one hour from home. :lol:

1709065424169.png

Auto Transport Service
Back