• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New radiator on the way

Splangj

Local time
12:47 AM
Reaction score
I ordered a Engineered Cooling Products big block aluminum radiator to replace my previously damaged and repaired brass unit. My 383 RR came with the 22” job. Many years ago I added the 26”. I cut away both sides of the support to fit it in. Now I’m reading here, that the 26” is moved to the passenger side, and the drivers side support is left alone? My radiator cap is off center from the thermostat housing at least 1-1/2”. I bought a shroud years ago, and made some sheet metal to adapt it, didn’t run any cooler than no shroud at all. Is there a off center shroud available that anyone is aware of? I’ve already butchered my support area enough, rather not cut anymore. I know everyone loves ACC radiators, but they’re out of stock, and this radiator is also two 1”” tube, and just $297. Here’s a pic of my modified shroud, showing the non centerness of the fiasco.
D1557F40-07F7-4AFC-8B07-999CD692B40C.jpeg

You are correct. You would mount a 26" to the drivers side factory mounting holes and either cut the passenger side or leave it alone. If you have cut both, well that's another animal entirely, and that shroud... :eek:

I recently posted this photo I took of a '68 GTX with a 26" in the 22" opening and it's really not enough that I would personally cut the support.

71289234671__36C1C675-042E-4821-8B85-2BB1994C8F0A Large.jpeg

Last edited:
Why not run the 22 inch radiator, they ran fine from the factory. If you don’t have A/C, you don’t need a 26 inch. Let’s see some pictures.

Like I stated, I’ve already cut out both sides for the brass 26” years ago, so no way would I try to put a 22” back in there. Great picture, thanks! That definitely shows the correct mounting locations. I’ll get a photo out later, but it’s not pretty.

Auto Transport Service
Back